Spray tan?

hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
Okay just out of sheer curiosity....anybody do this?

If so, how long does it last, and does it come off when you exercise?

L.

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    I'm actually tanning certified. (Yes, they have that! LOL) First, you have to exfoliate before you go. That will make the tan last longer. Second, don't get it wet for at least 4-8 hours. So, no sweating, no shower, etc. If you do those two things, it will last anywhere from 1-3 weeks. I tend to hold them longer and average 3 weeks, but for most people they last closer to 1 week. The spray actually interacts with the melanocyte cells in the skin to cause the tan, but the chemical reaction takes time, so leave it on as long as you can before showering off the spray. The longer you leave it on, the darker it will get. I like to get mine after my workout and shower at the end of the day. That way I can leave it on overnight and shower off the chemical the next morning to get good and dark and maybe that is why my tan lasts longer. After the tan, and after you've washed off the chemical, moisturize! Constantly keep lotion on your body. If your skin dries out, it peels. While we don't normally notice this loss of a layer of skin, even though it is happening all the time, we will definitely notice it with a spray tan because you literally lose the layer of skin that has been tanned. Some people will look splotchy during this time, but that can be lessened by exfoliating really well beforehand. Also, anyplace you don't want to get tan (like the palms of your hands and bottoms of your feet), put petroleum jelly. That will block the spray while it is being applied and you can wash it off immediately after.

Oh, and if you get a good airbrush artist doing your tan, they can draw on the lines to make your abs stand out more. :wink:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    I've done it a few times, and honestly, it was a pain in the butt to prep and then maintain later. For me it lasted 5-7 days. I am pale as a ghost, but to go through all of that just to be tan isn't worth it for me anymore. It wasn't cheap, either.
This discussion has been closed.