Any Athletes Here?

EricsName
EricsName Posts: 28
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Are there any other High School or College Athletes here that are in shape just trying to get better? I'm a cross country and track runner trying to get better. What would you recommend a runner to build muscle and try to gain weight or lose weight? I'm 5'3" and 101.6 lbs. My current calorie goal is 1975.

Replies

• __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    have you tried taking protein? preferably after you run though. It's hard to gain weight when you run so much, but with the right kind of calories, you will be able to. Carbs before runs, and high cal protein after, on top of your regular diet. Im surprised your calorie goal is in the 1900's, but i suppose that would be correct considering your height. Also, you want to gain muscle mass as opposed to fat so you should also be lifting weights, but remember- high reps at 50-65% only builds your endurance, it will be the low reps HIGH weight (but dont hurt yourself) and consistent weight training that will help you gain mass.
  • I lift weights, usually doing endurance, not strength. I'm afraid that if I get too bulky I won't be able to run as well. I'm still unsure if I should be gaining weight or losing weight. I take the amount of protein I should, usually for dinner but sometimes for lunch. & what will carbs do before I run? I thought carbs were bad?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    What do your coaches tell you to do?
    Being a distance runner I wouldnt get too crazy with the weights. Keep things on the light side, using proper form and make sure you stretch before & after properly.
    Eat a good balanced diet, and train hard.
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Although I am incredibly out of shape compared to my highschool years (I'm 21) and used to row competitively I honestly didnt do anything special, and was one of the top athletes in my age group and weight class. I ate healthy, I did my workouts thoroughly and followed my coaches instructions. All I can tell you is to eat 5 small balanced meals and make sure the meal before and after your training is high in protein. My coach used to tell us to eat an egg and a bowl of oatmeal before a workout because "oats move boats!"
  • My track coach doesn't tell us much. He basically tells us to show up to practice and get your workout done to the best of your ability.
    My cross country couch tells us to work our hardest and even harder than we think is our hardest. Running is 90% mental. Eat right, cut out the sodas. He doesn't mention any extra activities like weight lifting or running at home except for when practice is canceled, he tells us to run at home.
This discussion has been closed.