emotional eating

Options
I woke up today feeling overwhelmed with a heap little things, and big things for that matter that have been bothering me. I started the day normally with a cuppa tea and healthy breakfast but things quickly went downhill from there and i ate for comfort. nothing terriblly unhealthy. i havent gone over my calorie limit i will just have to be careful with what i eat for dinner, a huge bowl of veges probablly. It was more my attitude while i was eating. i wanted more more more and i certainly wasn't hungry. so i shoved down toast and sushi.
I am proud of myself in a way because i went into a dairy and bought a can of diet coke and resisted chocolate and chips. i stopped and considered it, a huge part of me wanted to go home and eat a big packet of chips but i didn't. i walked out. ive improved so much with this....6 months ago i would have indulged in chips, chocolate and cola and beaten myself about it for DAYS. Today i noticed what i was doing before i was in the depths of the emotional eating dispair.
Ive never been overweight, ive always enjoyed healthy nutritious food and i love exercise but today i had a difficult day and i looked to food for comfort.

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough day. I too have an issue with emotional eating. My dr has told me that when I get like that it's really due to an imbalance of Seratonin in the brain. You can fix this by taking a 5-htp. PLUS... IT'S ALL NATURAL! you can find it at Walgreens or CVS with the vitamins. Also try Chromium (same place to find it!)

Hope that helps!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Those days really just suck the life and will out of you don't they. I think you did a great job surviving the day though. You were aware of the emotional stresses and you made a conscious effort to resist instead of indulging without even being aware of it. Personally I think that it is emotionally healthy to permit yourself a small guilt-free indulgence regularly because if you aren't happy, then what's the point? I took some time to look at the food diaries that people allow for open viewing on MFP and saw that some people go up and down on cutting down and indulgence (one person would have a few low calorie days and then indulge in comfort food like pizza and hot wings for one day then go back to cutting down; this was a regular cycle, not a crash off the diet); other people give themselves a treat everyday (one person had two pieces of dove chocolate everyday). I have a rule where I only get one treat a day and I cannot repeat that treat for a week (so if I have an ice cream cone today, I can't have ice cream again for 7 days but I could have a brownie the next day). That way I can't binge.

Managing the comfort food seem like a happier option than cutting it out entirely. Anyway, great job hanging in there today. Hope tomorrow goes better!