Slight change to tickers and badges

Mike
Mike Posts: 823 Member
Just a quick heads up that I had to make a very slight change to the tickers today. I used to calculate the amount of weight you'd lost as the HIGHEST weight you'd ever logged minus your current weight. Instead, I'm now calculating the weight you've lost as the FIRST weight you've ever logged minus your current weight. This is what most people think of as their "starting" weight, and having the tickers reflect your highest weight was confusing some people.

Here's another way to see the difference in the two methods. Say that I had recorded the following weights when I checked in:

5/1/08 - 200 lbs
5/8/08 - 202 lbs
5/15/08 - 198 lbs

Under the old method, the weight you'd lost was 4 lbs (202 lbs, your highest weight, minus 198 lbs).

Under the new method, the weight you'd lost is reduced to 2 lbs (200 lbs, your first weight, minus 198 lbs).

The reason for this change is that, if you wanted to adjust your "starting weight" on your ticker, we'd actually have to go in and adjust your highest weight and potentially many other weights. If, in the example above, I wanted to reduce my "starting weight" to 197 lbs, I'd actually have to update every weight I'd logged to 197 lbs or lower to get my ticker to reflect the change properly. This would result in essentially losing all of your check-in data.

So, I decided the best thing to do would just change the tickers to reflect the difference between your very first weight logged and your current weight. That way, if you want to adjust your starting weight, all you have to change is the very first weight entry we have on record. If, during some period of time, you actually gain weight above that first weight, you can just adjust that entry to reflect the higher value and your ticker will be accurate.

This is a long and confusing post, but hopefully it makes sense to someone :bigsmile:

Replies

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Just a quick heads up that I had to make a very slight change to the tickers today. I used to calculate the amount of weight you'd lost as the HIGHEST weight you'd ever logged minus your current weight. Instead, I'm now calculating the weight you've lost as the FIRST weight you've ever logged minus your current weight. This is what most people think of as their "starting" weight, and having the tickers reflect your highest weight was confusing some people.

Here's another way to see the difference in the two methods. Say that I had recorded the following weights when I checked in:

5/1/08 - 200 lbs
    5/8/08 - 202 lbs
    5/15/08 - 198 lbs

Under the old method, the weight you'd lost was 4 lbs (202 lbs, your highest weight, minus 198 lbs).

Under the new method, the weight you'd lost is reduced to 2 lbs (200 lbs, your first weight, minus 198 lbs).

The reason for this change is that, if you wanted to adjust your "starting weight" on your ticker, we'd actually have to go in and adjust your highest weight and potentially many other weights. If, in the example above, I wanted to reduce my "starting weight" to 197 lbs, I'd actually have to update every weight I'd logged to 197 lbs or lower to get my ticker to reflect the change properly. This would result in essentially losing all of your check-in data.

So, I decided the best thing to do would just change the tickers to reflect the difference between your very first weight logged and your current weight. That way, if you want to adjust your starting weight, all you have to change is the very first weight entry we have on record. If, during some period of time, you actually gain weight above that first weight, you can just adjust that entry to reflect the higher value and your ticker will be accurate.

This is a long and confusing post, but hopefully it makes sense to someone :bigsmile:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Thank you, Mike. Understand it perfectly. Thank you for this wonderful website.
    Beth
  • vramage
    vramage Posts: 28
    thank you mike:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Thanks, Mike--that explains why I was having problems with mine--wasn't really a problem I guess but the way you had it programmed. But now I understand--thanks again!
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    is there a way to add the ticker to the signature so I don't have to cut and paste it everytime?
    computer idiot question. thanks
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Go to "Tools" and you'll see something there about setting up your signature. Paste your ticker code in there and after that it's automatic.
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Make sense to me. Great job with the site.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    thank you!!! totally get it and love it!!...love it all!...you rock!:glasses:

hugs!:flowerforyou:
    Ali
  • BigCityKittyz
    BigCityKittyz Posts: 378
    Mwwwwah! Love you guys and all the things you do to keep us happy!:heart:
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    ok, you pc gurus. lets see if I did it right. its in signature. so hello. RJ

YEA!! for ME!!