Nursing moms, WWYD?

Options
I just signed up yesterday and can't say I'm thrilled to be counting calories again, but it has to be done! Yesterday I added the "nursing mom, baby 6-12 months" to my food log to get the -300 calories. Then I noticed the ounces option and tried putting in 25 oz....it came out as -550! My daughter is 8 months old and still nursing quite a bit, would you go by ounce or with the generic 300 calorie amount we always seem to hear? I'm really afraid of not eating enough and losing my supply, but I also would really like to lose some weight!

Replies

• mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    My baby is 7 months old and I couldn't figure it out either. I have no idea how many ounces she eats. But I ended up just modifying my daily calories. I just added 300 to my daily intake.
  • hviola
    hviola Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I nursed for 12 months. I just added 300 to my intake and my supply was just fine. I lost all my baby weight except for 3 pounds by my baby's first birthday.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll do the 300 and see how it goes. We had a lot of struggles with nursing in the beginning, but have been pretty well established since 3 months, so I should just get over it! I wish I had started this sooner, I've actually gained 10 lbs back after losing a lot immediately post delivery :(
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For the first year of life when breastmilk is their main food you can burn anywhere from 500-800 and after the first year is 300-500 (I may be off a little here its been awhile since I looked the info up) Make sure you keep your calories at 1800, any lower than that can make your supply dip.

I'm still nursing but I stopped adding the calories in because my daughter is a few months over a year old. I wasn't too worried about the exact calories burned, I figured that those calories are just extra ones that I can't be tempted to eat because I don't know I have them!