Well-balanced vegetarian lunch suggestions?

Options
In the past month or so meat has been making me sick. The sight, smell, texture, taste....everything. I've never been a big meat eater but this has pushed me over the edge. I have been able to find creative ways to make my meals at home with my family meat-free without having to cook a seperate meal for myself but when it comes to lunches, I'm a bit stumped. Can anyone share some ideas for well-balanced vegetarian lunches that are relatively simple, please?

Replies

• AbbyLu
    AbbyLu Posts: 29
    Options
    A few of the light canned soups make a vegatarian version, and Hormel makes a meatless chili. (Beans make you gassy, but it's the meat that makes it stinky ;)
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with the texture of meat, just something about it! I like to have salads sometimes, or a wrap with hummus, lettuce, tomato and sometimes tabouli. I have that with an apple and string cheese and a 100 cal pack of chocolate covered pretzels! If you like egg salad that would be great on a sandwich too. Soups are always good as well, either homemade or from a can, there are lots of vegetarian lunch options!
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    vegetarian chili....you make it just like you do the meat version except add a few more beans, peppers, onions and mushrooms....if you make too much....you can freeze it......
    Also, vegetable soup is very easy.....a can or two of crushed tomatoes and a bag of frozen mixed vegetables....
    And here is a website I use a good bit..... http://fatfreevegan.com/
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Do you like to cook? I find that makes a big difference. I like to make a big batch of soup on the weekend to have all week. Split pea soup with rind of parm cooked in with it, maybe some cream added and definitely some Parmesan and chopped red onion to top it is simply fabulous. A nice hearty minestrone, perhaps a creamy tomato basil soup.... All with a salad alongside and fruit for dessert. I eat mostly veg, but I admit to using bacon hear and there for a bit of flavor, usually no more than a single slice crumbled, especially on the split pea soup.
    If you're looking for a good quick drive though option, Starbucks has a great spinach, mozarella, and sundried tomato pannini, as well as a roasted veg pannini that are simply beautiful, filling, and good on the calories as well.
    For a general source of all things vegetarian, try Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I'm pretty sure that's the title, or near enough at least. You'll get some great ideas there, and its an indispensable source for going veg.
    Hope this is helpful. Lemme know if you want recipes of any of the soups I mentioned. Happy to oblige.
    Good Luck!
  • marulm
    marulm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hummus or peanut butter (or almond butter) or cheese on whole wheat (pita, tortilla, Orowheat thin rounds, etc.) Add lettuce and tomato if appropriate for the type, and a piece of fruit on the side. Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with fruit and walnuts. Salad with fat-free feta cheese and a piece of bread, toasted or however. Quinoa, lots of good recipes for a hot or cold dish with quinoa.
    Looking forward to others suggestions also.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have to ask, are you pregnant? Pregnancy causes all kinds of issues with food.

Tofu, beans, and eggs will give you protein, then just eat fruits and vegetables and some dairy.

Egg salad sandwiches, stir fry with tofu, burritos with beans...
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 18 years now. I do eat seafood, and if you do that, a can of tuna with a Tbsp of light mayo and a few crackers. That gives you high protein, and I find it keeps me full until dinner. If you don't want to eat seafood, try one of the meat substitues....Boca and Morningstar both make tons of different options. You could do a veggie burger with veggies, or some "chicken strips" on salad. My grocery store also has fake lunchmeat type products that can be eaten rolled up with cheese and a few crackers for a low-cal, high protien lunch. Let me know if you still struggle...I have lots of experience in this area!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas! I don't do tuna fish but it's only because I just don't like it. :) I'll check out the morningstar and boca options at the grocery store...I've had several types of those brands but I'll need to revisit them again.

Also, I'm not pregnant. :) I figured that would come up and I should have mentioned that. DH is uh....fixed....and I'd hae a lot of 'splainin' to do!
  • cherbear7
    Options
    You should try a english muffin pizza- I made one for the first time today and its soooo good!
    whole grain english muffin
    2tb shredded sharp chedder cheese (I subbed in 1 tbsp soy mozzerella cheese instead)
    1.5 tbsp fat free cottage cheese
    1.5 tbsp tomato sauce (I subbed for homemade roasted tomato sauce: roasted onions, tomoatoes and garlic blended)

165 calories
    4 grams fat
    8 grams fiber
    13 grams protien

The nutrition facts are for an entire english muffin, I only used a half and paired it with a 15 calorie salad for an under 100 calorie delicious lunch =)
  • With a tub of hummus in your fridge you'll always have something. It's yummy on pita, toast, carrots, peppers, anything.

I like a good refried bean wrap, if you still eat cheese cheddar is perfect with that.

Salad: by the mix with all sorts of greens, add berries and walnuts. yum.
  • With a tub of hummus in your fridge you'll always have something. It's yummy on pita, toast, carrots, peppers, anything.

I like a good refried bean wrap, if you still eat cheese cheddar is perfect with that.

Salad: by the mix with all sorts of greens, add berries and walnuts. yum.
  • larajmbell
    Options
    I find that if I'm on the run and can't make anything at home, I like to pick up a pack of vegetarian sushi. Alternatively, you could try making your own sushi - it's not that hard. I love mine with carrot, capsicum, avocado and sometimes tofu. Yummy and light and low on calories. :)
    And I totally agree about the hummus. Hummus is fantastic.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have been on a veggie taco kick. Beans, cooked greens (spinach, chard), winter squash, salsa and avocado on a corn tortilla. Hearty, balanced and more delicious than the sum of its parts. :)

I also like to make a quick salad: like chickpeas, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, arugula/spinach or chard and maybe some goat cheese or pine nuts tossed with lemon juice, salt pepper a few chile flakes and a drizzle of olive oil. You can easily make it a pantry staple by using roasted peppers, frozen spinach and frozen artichoke hearts. (sub cannelini beans, feel free to add capers and/or olives)

Or try black beans, corn, avocado, tomato, jicama, lime juice and cilantro.

Have you eve made a spanish tortilla? It is easy and reheats well: http://spanishfood.about.com/od/tapas/r/tortilla.htm (you can reduce the oil and add some spices like smoked paprika/thyme/garlic powder.

You can always have a DIY lunchable with crudite. Cheese, crackers (or bread), and 3 of your favorite vegetables, some fruit, nuts and maybe some olives.

This cookbook has amazing veggie recipes. I like the stir-fried cabbage, spicy tomato and eggplant and the chickpea dil dal on the cover. http://www.amazon.com/Spices-50-Dishes-Simple-Recipes/dp/081185342X
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Oh, YUM! I am sooooooo making this IMMEDIATELY. Thank you!!
  • I've been a vegetarian for 18 years now. I do eat seafood, and if you do that, a can of tuna with a Tbsp of light mayo and a few crackers. That gives you high protein, and I find it keeps me full until dinner. If you don't want to eat seafood, try one of the meat substitues....Boca and Morningstar both make tons of different options. You could do a veggie burger with veggies, or some "chicken strips" on salad. My grocery store also has fake lunchmeat type products that can be eaten rolled up with cheese and a few crackers for a low-cal, high protien lunch. Let me know if you still struggle...I have lots of experience in this area!

sorry, but if you eat seafood, you are not a vegetarian
  • lauraparkerrr
    lauraparkerrr Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Making your own ratatouille is easy to do, low in calories and super tasty. There are loads of recipes online and you can use it as a side dish for something else :).
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    I make up a huge batch of veggie/vegan chili on weekends and divide it up into lunch size portions right away. It's great in the winter with some bread or crackers!

Check out allrecipes.com for different chili recipes.
  • chironess
    Options
    Throw some cooked wheat berries into your veggie chili. YUM!
  • lbridges27
    Options
    Today I had a quick and easy veggie lunch:

Avocado Melt:
    half an avocado (sliced)
    whole wheat bread
    sprouts
    provolone cheese

then I put it on my panini maker and heat it up, it's delish!!
  • lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This might not sound good, but it's one of my favorites this time of year and is easy to carry to the office and fix in the microwave.
    I put 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1 T raisins, 1/4 c powdered nonfat milk and 1 T brown sugar in a microwave bowl with a screw on lid. When I'm ready to eat, I add as much water as I want to make it the texture I prefer, then zap it about 1 minute. If I'm cutting back I use Splenda. Very nutritious (fiber, protein, iron) and really sticks to your ribs.
    Oh well, good luck