No, your NOT eating too much protein!

Options
2»

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I've seen the 1 gram / lb idea before. Usually on body building sites. I don't agree that you need that much, but I've seen it floated out there. On the other hand, for some people that's fine.

For instance, for me, I do about 30% protein, 20% fat and 50% carbs, that comes to about 207 Grams of protein, OVER 1 g / lb
    But I do quite a bit of weight training and resistance work and am in a state of active muscle building, so my requirements differ from others.

I've seen it as high as 2 g / lb on some sites, but I don't subscribe to that at all. generally I tell people that between 15% and 35% is fine, and leave it at that, letting them decide on what fits their lifestyle in that range.

Yeah. You're eating a serious amount of protein. You're greater than your weight/2.2 X 1.8.
    THANK YOU!!! Lol It is NOT per lb is it per KG!!!!! This calculation is EVERYWHERE and it works for me! That's what I know!
    DUDE above, if you enter those percentages in with your calories it would NOT be 207g of protein... unless you are eating almost 3000 calories! I also do 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat... which is roughly 100g protein. I am NOT 100lbslol
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    MFP has me at 214 g of protein per day at 30 carbs/40 protein/30 fat.
    That always seemed like a lot to me. It's over 1.5 times 1g/lb. Oh well... couldn't really get up there if I tried after several protein shakes and lots of chicken lol.

Thanks all for the input.
    This seems inaccurate. Unless you are eating nearly 3000 calories.... which you could be. Check your math again. Mine is at 30% and I am on a 1500 calorie diet... I eat around 100g of protein a day and I build muscle VERY quickly would a woman.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    It's not one gram of protein per pound of weight. It's one gram of protein for your weight converted to kilograms. Your weight\2.2 is how much protein the average person needs.
    YES I second THAT! And then you multiply THAT number by your "activity level" .8-1.8. I multiply mine by 1.4 as I am "inbetween" in my activity level but I still train regularly.

Sorry for the multi-posts. I am not arguing whether too much protein is good or bad. But if you are going to follow a calculation- check your math. ;)