Pilates!

Options
I started Pilates last night - i work 2 jobs so i didnt have time to go to a gym or join a class - so i bought the scotts pilates DVD and did the 40 mins - i have to say i LOVED IT!!

Im going to be doing a pilates thread on here to track my results - does anyone else have any results or stories from doing pilates i would love to hear!

Replies

• penniepie
    penniepie Posts: 37
    Options
    I started Pilates last night - i work 2 jobs so i didnt have time to go to a gym or join a class - so i bought the scotts pilates DVD and did the 40 mins - i have to say i LOVED IT!!

Im going to be doing a pilates thread on here to track my results - does anyone else have any results or stories from doing pilates i would love to hear!
  • dancer33
    dancer33 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love pilates!! I haven't done it for a long time because my DVD actually got kinda wore out :/ I had a Denise Austen one and definitely saw results! Good luck!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I take a Pilates class at my gym and love it! It is taught by a Yoga instructor and she is really gentle - definitely all levels! I tried a hard core Pilates class and flunked out :laugh: Anyway, I have had so much improvement in tone and flexibility and core strength. I have a problem with siatica and pilates has helped so much. When I don't go it makes it so much worse.

Maybe I should check out a tape - do you like the ones you are using?

Bunny
  • katya
    katya Posts: 11
    Options
    I have several DVDs and I alternate between them. It really works, I can feel my core muscles after I do it for at least a couple of days.
    Lately I kind of fell out of the routine though, so, talking with this group hopefully will motivate me to get back on track.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This is something I have wanted to learn...specifically the positions and transitions.
    I have a book but need to understand the flow of the workout. Do you think going to a class is the best way to learn it...or is it doable at home? I practice yoga and would like some feedback on learning pilates.

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I do the Pilates for Dummies tape that my sister bought about 4000 years ago. I think it's really easy and fun and a good introduction to Pilates, but it's not really a great workout. But if you're just starting out, it shows the basic poses and exercises and stuff like that.
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This is something I have wanted to learn...specifically the positions and transitions.
    I have a book but need to understand the flow of the workout. Do you think going to a class is the best way to learn it...or is it doable at home? I practice yoga and would like some feedback on learning pilates.

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

I don't know about you but I like to see something demonstrated. I think that you would do great in pilates because there is alot of cross over between the two. What about taking just a couple classes to get you started. Then you could probably do it at home or with a tape. My problem is I lack motivation at home - helps to be in a class! Good luck! :smile:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I switch it up with Pilates...Winsor Pilates is excellent instruction via DVD...Pilates was inspired by Yoga...Here's some clipits of info I found on the internet:

"Mari Winsor has taken proven Pilates moves to a whole new level using her dynamic sequencing technique.

The Pilates method was invented in the early part of the 20th century by German athlete Joseph Pilates, who designed a series of mat exercises to help balance the body, improve motion and promote mental and physical harmony. For many years, the method was the premiere exercise technique of the dance world.

Yoga is an ancient practice that was originally practiced in Northern India over 5,000 years ago. Pilates was inspired by the ancient yoga asanas about 80-years ago by Joseph Pilates.

The Pilates method is a complicated system of effective but gentle, whole-body conditioning and corrective exercises. It was first practiced by dancers and gained mass attention in recent years because of its largely aesthetic body sculpting effects. Yoga is a lifestyle, rather then simply an exercise. Its known as the path to both physical and mental well-being. It includes everything from physical postures and healthy diet to breathing, relaxation and meditation skills.

Pilates mainly concentrates on cultivating core strength in the body and lengthening the spine. Also, Pilates is a valuable tool for increasing strength, definition and proper posture. Yoga aims to work the body equally and unite the body with mind and spirit. Yoga is often considered therapeutic, when compared to Pilates, as it helps people find harmony and release stress.

Breathing and concentration are fundamental to both practices; however yoga employs breath on a deeper level. The slight difference between them is that Pilates instructs one to inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth; while in yoga, one is taught to inhale and exhale through the nose only.

Yoga has many different styles, but all are generally performed in a group setting on a yoga mat with the aid of a yoga instructor. Pilates has a full complement of mat work, but it also incorporates work on Pilates machines which help build a longer, leaner, dancer-like physique."
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I got THE Firm Pilates for beginners its 30 minutes its a good workout you feel your muscles but its definitely not advanced I heard advanced will kick your butt.