What to do when your under the weather?

Options
I was going full steam ahead, until I got hit with a bug and I have no energy and can't breath...What do you do to keep your momentum when you don't feel like moving or eating?

Replies

• BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just take a day or two to rest hun.. Try and drink plenty of fluids so u dont get dehydrated.. I hope you feel better soon!!
  • puddles76
    puddles76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm in the same boat. Was doing really good and then "slam!" got the bug. Now I feel myself un motivated as I'm coming out of it and ready to give up. Put on a lb and had no energy to work anything off. I'm personally just going to fight this, ride it out and get back on track in the next day or so. The only good thing in being sick is not much of an appetite so I don't think you will gain weight and just stay with it and get back to the program asap. Like I said thats what I'm trying to do but I also know how hard it is. We can do it together.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Exercise can actually promote healing. I would suggenst something to get yourself moving. Take a nice hot bath or shower (always makes me feel better). Then get out for a wak or walk on the treadmill. Just get yourself moving and off the couch when you are feeling better. Moving around can make the world of difference. You don't have to get to 70% of your max heart rate, but just taking a walk will make you feel better. Bad weather? Head out to the mall or somewhere you can go for a nice indoor stroll. Good luck with your goals and I hope you feel better soon!
  • TiffanyAml
    Options
    Sleep and get better! Your body is asking for rest, the more sleep you get the more weight you lose, the more energized and recharged your brain is. Lots of water will help too and vitamins. Vitamin B and Vitamin D always pull me out of a funk if you are feeling up for a natural mood lifter. :) Sip on some teas until you get your appetite back.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've had swine flu and dr told me not to exercise but to save my energy for getting better. So I slept. Can't eat when you're asleep lol
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I still make comfort food - but I make healthy things. This weekend I was not really sick but it was dumping snow on us in Denver and I was craving comfort food... so I made a giant pot of homemade chicken noodle soup. I loaded it up with tons of vegetables (red and green peppers, carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, turnips), 2 boxes of low sodium chicken broth, about 3/4 pound of white meat chicken, and a couple handfuls of whole wheat egg noodles. It was delicious!!! And still good for me.

I agree though, that when you are sick, you should rest. Especially be careful if you are having trouble breathing. Get lots of rest and fluids. Stay in the game by hanging out here on MFP and participating in the message boards and on your own profile. =) If you can stay in the mindset you will be back in the game in no time. But for now, take care of yourself!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Exercise can actually promote healing. I would suggenst something to get yourself moving. Take a nice hot bath or shower (always makes me feel better). Then get out for a wak or walk on the treadmill. Just get yourself moving and off the couch when you are feeling better. Moving around can make the world of difference. You don't have to get to 70% of your max heart rate, but just taking a walk will make you feel better. Bad weather? Head out to the mall or somewhere you can go for a nice indoor stroll. Good luck with your goals and I hope you feel better soon!

Please be careful with this advice - if it is just a head cold or something, exercise can indeed be great. But the OP mentioned having a hard time breathing, and in that case, exercise is not a good idea. If the cold/flu/bug whatever has moved into your chest, exercise is not something that you should be doing.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Take care of your body and rest. Drink lots of fluids. If you don't feel hungry, don't force yourself to eat, although I would recommend drinking some broth at least to keep your energy up. And yes, light exercise can be helpful, but don't overdo it. If you're feeling out of breath, stop. The important thing is to listen to your body when you're sick. Try something light, like marching in place, just to get your blood moving and keep your muscles loose. But if you can't, then don't. The most important thing is healing. You can get back to your regular exercise routine when you're feeling better.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I am glad I joined this because at least it feels like a little family of support even when your not at your peak!