Restaurant Calories on Menus

Options
jkestens63
jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
I live in NYC and any restaurant with 5 or more locations must post the calories for all of its items on the menu. I have found this to be helpful in making decisions although some studies have revealed that it doesn't make a difference in people's choices.

There is an initiative to make this regulation a "country-wide" requirement. What is your opinion on this? Will it help you make an informed decision or do you feel when you go to, lets say, Olive Garden you know you are going for a special thing and don't care what the calories are? Will it lessen your enjoyment of the food?

Replies

• superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I would love this, but still, it's only a guide. You're at the mercy of the chef and have to hope that they make it the EXACT SAME WAY every time.

Charmagne
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I would love this, but still, it's only a guide. You're at the mercy of the chef and have to hope that they make it the EXACT SAME WAY every time.

Charmagne

I completely agree, but I would be happy to at least have a guide. I think it should be mandatory for ALL restaurants to post their information online or at least in their location. People shouldn't eat things unknowingly.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    I wish I had that. And the study is flawed. Perhaps MOST people will ignore the calories because they don't really mean anything to them (who cares if a Red Robin burger is 1400 calories if you have no clue how much you should be eating for the day total). Or they just don't care.

But there is a percentage of us who WILL use these to our advantage, probably shocked and disgusted by them too...

Anywho, I wish all restuarants everywhere in the States were required to do this. It would make things SO much easier!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You're at the mercy of the cook- and the fact they (and the food manufacturers) are allowed to be about 20% off their posted nutrition.

If I eat out a lot- even counting the calories posted - I gain. So I know they are not entirely accurate. :grumble:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You're at the mercy of the cook- and the fact they (and the food manufacturers) are allowed to be about 20% off their posted nutrition.

If I eat out a lot- even counting the calories posted - I gain. So I know they are not entirely accurate. :grumble:

Precisely why I try to always been under by about 200 calories. People say...oh eat more, but I'm sure those calories are somewhere!