Snap, crackle, pop

MrsFoster18
MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So when I am walking on the treadmill I hear and feel random pops going through out my joints. Is this normal? Is there something that I can do for it? Will it just get better over time? It happens every where on me...shoulder blades, elbows, knees...

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Do you stretch at all before you start walking? It might help loosen up your joints so you don't get the "snap, crackle, pop" while you're actually walking. I get a lot of popping in my hip, but that's a-whole-nother problem.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    One of my knees does snap, crackle, pop as well. My MD said to do more bicycling, swimming, and exercise on elliptical machines as opposed to walking, but I find that exercising with knee support is helpful. Make sure you warm up and cool down, and wear good supportive shoes. Do check with your doctor in case there are other things going on. I heard that the problem can go away over time if you baby those body parts. Although my knee has gotten better, I am waiting for the moment that the problem does go away.
  • ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    To try to come up with a really useful and positive answer I looked up the condition on the net..

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injur

however, it seems they didn't know the cause either. As long as there's no pain associated with the cracking then you shouldn't worry. Stretching exercises can help but only if you do them regularly enough. My ankles crack too and I often find that cracking them deliberately seems to give a sensation of relief around the joint.... so I actually like to twirl my ankles and MAKE them crack.
    This seems to be the result then of prolonged standing and maybe in later life, we will get water retention probs.. swollen feet or tree trunk legs.....(oooer)?!! Stretch on!
This discussion has been closed.