Strength Training for runners

msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone. I have googled around for this and haven't found quite what I'm looking for. Basically I'm looking for a listing of body parts that benefit from strength training, for runners. The half marathon program I'm using flags 2 days a week for strength training, and I'm not really sure what to do with them. I've looked at some of the programs but none seem to be very comprehensive; not even the runners world one (5 exercises... really?)

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I talked to a couple of marathon runners a little while back that were training for the olympics. They said that running was enough of a legs workout in of itself and so they focused strength training on core and upper body. One of them just did rock climbing at a rock gym. The other one did a gym workout for abs, back, bicep, tricep, and shoulders. I have come across some books for women that have recommended strength training routines, but not for men.

Good Luck.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I am training a Runner. She is a long distance runner. Focus on 2-3 day full body workout with weights ect. Working the whole body doing chest, shoulder, tricep, Quads, Upper Back Biceps Low Back Abs and Hamstrings. Pick a exercise or 2 and go through them like a circuit then repeat 2-3 times. Keep your reps at 15 or higher. Hope that helps a little.

Example Work out

Warm up and Cool down 5-10 minutes

Circuit 1
    Chest- Press DB on flat bench 15 reps
    Shoulder- Seated DB overhead press 15 reps
    Tricep- skull crusher flat bench DB 15 reps
    Quads -squats w/DB, heels on blue DB 15 reps
    (knee behind toes and over heals)
    Abs upper- Toe touch crunch 20-25 reps
    ( lay on back, core tight back flat, feet straight up reach for toes)
    Cardio 75%-90% max HR 2 min
    Repeat 3 times
    Go through each exercise no breaks more then 30 seconds, then repeat circuit 3 times

Circuit 2
    Back-Lateral Pull Down Wide 15 reps
    Bicep-DB Curls 15 reps
    Low Back- Superman 15-20 reps
    (lay on stomach raising arms and legs at the same time, head/neck is neutral and core is tight)
    Hamstring-Fwd Lunge Lt leg then Rt Leg 10-15 reps ea leg
    (knees over heels and Behind toes, keeping heel on the floor and push back off the heel not the TOE)
    Abs lower- Scissor Kicks 15-20 reps
    ( lay on back core tight belly button to spin, feet straight out lower them slightly and crisscross them)
    Cardio 75%-90% max HR 2 min
    Repeat 3 times
    Go through each exercise no breaks more then 30 seconds, then repeat circuit 3 times
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    I have been doing a lot of running lately and worry about doing a leg focused strength training day. Right before new years I did some pretty tough leg training.. then ran the next day.. then got really super sick!! It could be totally unrelated, except my legs were throbbing so bad that I was totally stuck in bed!! So as of right now, Ive only been doing core exercises and upperbody workouts along with my running. I suppose the next time I work legs I should take a rest day after.. but I HATE REST DAYS!!!:flowerforyou:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    I am not doing a lot of strength training but here is some areas I know I should be working on.

Abs once I get above 10 miles mine are sore
    Back I would want to work these as well

Upper body/arms As I am loosing weight I would like my arms to look better.

I have gone back to doing Jiu-Jitsu 2 days a week and during class some of the exercises we do take care of some of these areas. Kind of killing 2 birds with one stone:-)

I am looking forward to what others suggest, as I am looking to add a bit of strength training back into my workout schedule.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Matt Fitzgerald has a book called Cross Training for Runner's its a super companion to any running program.
This discussion has been closed.