Protein ideas?

Options
Protein ideas?

I have had an increase appetite for foods with protein and currently eat the following foods with high protein/low fat:

Laughing Cow low fat cheese wedge
80 calorie Colby cheese sticks
low fat milk
Greek yogurt
nuts
lean meats

Any other ideas? I am a runner and run 20+ miles a week right now.

Thank You! :wink:

Replies

• gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    What about Protein Shakes?
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I like protien shakes. My personal fave is BSN Syntha6: flavor vanilla. Its smooth and the flavors taste like they are meant to. It is a lil pricey compared to others, but like i said it tastes better. With vanilla its so easy to mix in other stuff. Like throw a cup of milk, scoop of protien, and some fresh or frozen fruit with a lil ice and blend for a yummy smoothie. Eggs have a lot of protien too.
  • acarter72
    acarter72 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Are there any you recommend? Thanks-:smile:
  • acarter72
    Options
    I like protien shakes. My personal fave is BSN Syntha6: flavor vanilla. Its smooth and the flavors taste like they are meant to. It is a lil pricey compared to others, but like i said it tastes better. With vanilla its so easy to mix in other stuff. Like throw a cup of milk, scoop of protien, and some fresh or frozen fruit with a lil ice and blend for a yummy smoothie. Eggs have a lot of protien too.

Where do you find this?
  • gdunn55
    Options

Here's my post workout protein shake I make.

6-7 cubes of ice (depends on the size of your ice could be more or less)
    Fill with water to above a little over the 1 cup mark
    1 scoop GNC 100% Whey Protein- Banana Creme flavor
    1 banana
    1 cup of blue berries

Blend til smooth.

Enjoy.
  • gdunn55
    Options

Where do you find this?

You can find this at GNC or www.sbmuscle.com
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese is great source of protein. I usually mix in some non-fat fruit yogurt with it to make like a parfait. Add in some All Bran Buds and you have a great source of fibre also. :)
  • Charlie001
    Options
    OPTIMUM NUTRITION DOUBLE CHOCOLATE. More bang for your buck than the BSN. Buy on internet. Bodybuilding.com or A1suppliments.
  • acarter72
    Options

Here's my post workout protein shake I make.

6-7 cubes of ice (depends on the size of your ice could be more or less)
    Fill with water to above a little over the 1 cup mark
    1 scoop GNC 100% Whey Protein- Banana Creme flavor
    1 banana
    1 cup of blue berries

Blend til smooth.

Enjoy.

Thank you! I will look into this!!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i like the optimum nutrition brand 100% whey gold standard in extreme chocolate milk. It tasted great by itself so i just mix the powder with water. Its quick and easy to stick in my gym bag or eat after a run.

Also, as a vegetarian protein is a big issue for me so I eat brown rice, quinoa, and spinach. If you want recipes, message me with your email and i'll send them. nomeatathlete.com and cookinglight.com are where I get most of my recipes.

Enjoy!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    fish, eggs, egg whites, Tofu, Tempeh, legumes (beans, lentils), seeds, cottage cheese etc.
  • acarter72
    Options
    Don't forget about beans/lentils. Kashi go lean cereal is awesome (14 grams) mixed with yogurt. FISH!

I enjoy have a protein bar as well - Cliff Builder bars are yummy.

Also the protein shakes....
    Smoothies!

Oh yah! Egg whites as posted above are great too (and whole eggs as well of course just less lean)

Yes, meant to add eggs. I do eat 1 hard boil egg when I need protein but limit one per day.

All of these are helpful ideas. I should add cottage cheese and I need to try some protein shakes out. Thank you!
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey. In water if I need to cut a few calories, otherwise I sometimes add it to 1% milk.
  • acarter72
    Options
    I also recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey. In water if I need to cut a few calories, otherwise I sometimes add it to 1% milk.

Is this sold at GNC?
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    GNC Pro Crunch protein nutrition bar. It has 260 calories and I eat one-half with my morning coffee. I eat either the other half of the protein bar or an egg white omelet at about 930am. Keeps me sated until noon.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    You can find a wide selection (including BSN) at GNC, and Discount Sports nutrition. Many other health food/supplement stores carry it as well. BSN, I have noticed, is thicker with water than GNC's brand and has (imo) better flavor... however GNC's brand is better priced and may taste better in other flavors.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    tofu and egg whites are HUGE for me... I also recently added nutritional yeast into the mix and I'm enjoying that. Natural PB, cottage cheese, ground flax seed, whey isolate powder... that about rounds out the diet, along with lean meats.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Is this sold at GNC?

Yep, you can get it at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I get 15 bean soup, cook it up in chicken broth (for the taste), then pour out all the liquid and have a cup or so a day of just the beans- lots of protein and very filling.
  • acarter72
    Options
    Thank you for all the protein ideas!! I bought some fat free cottage cheese and will go check out the protein shakes/bars as well. I appreciate the help!!!!

:smile: :wink: :wink: