Protein drinks and Stomach aches

Options
sarah44254
sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
I went for a run today and have a TON of calories as my goal now. I am not hungry so I thought, what better way to add some calories than a quick protein shake.

I put 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream flavored powder (brand: gold standard 100% whey) into 20 oz of water. The bottle has a mixer so there weren't clumps. I drank all 20oz in about 30 mins. That was 20 mins ago. Now I have a raging stomach ache!

I've been trying to find info on this and I'm seeing varied suggestions. Have any of you come across this trouble? I like the added protein, and the taste is just fine! I just really would love to drink without discomfort :(

P.S. Slightly lactose intolerant as milk would make my stomach MUCH worse right now, that is why I always mix with water.

Replies

• gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Where are you storing it? Sometimes if it's stored in a place over a certain temp, then it can cause some discomfort. Also the brand itself might be causing it.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    The powder is still in the large plastic canister it was bought in. I keep it on the counter in the kitchen. It was a gift, and the first protein supplement I have tried.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is derived from milk, so maybe that's triggering your lactose intolerance?
  • lagrothe
    lagrothe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are indeed lactose intolerant, the powder is 100% whey, which is the milk protein!! It may not be the sugar of milk, but can still be hard to digest since it is made from milk.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The majority of protein drinks are based on dried milk, it's probably just your lactose intolerance. Hope you feel better soon!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Here's a reach on the discomfort too.. Whey is derived sometimes diary type of products.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The following is from the Whey Protein Institute website. Note sure what that is but here is what it says about Whey and Lactose intolerance.

Q: If I'm lactose intolerant should I avoid whey protein?

A: Individuals with lactose intolerance should select a pure whey protein isolate, which has less than 0.1 gram of lactose per tablespoon (20 grams). This is less lactose than the amount found in a cup of yogurt and research has shown that most people with lactose intolerance have no trouble taking this very small amount of lactose. Individuals with lactose intolerance should avoid whey protein concentrates as they usually contain lactose and the amount can vary greatly from product to product.
  • Mpascarella90
    Mpascarella90 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to get horrible stomachs after I would drink protein drinks too. I found it to be the brand, maybe from what the mix the protein with. The brand that I found the best results from is True Whey Premim Protein Powder from Source Naturals. No stomach aches and its has quality ingredients! Give it a try!
  • clm61
    clm61 Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds like your pain is lactose intolerance, which is what I have. Try protein powder that is based on egg white instead of whey and add almond milk or soy milk. This is what I drink and it tastes great with some added berries.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Ugh! Had no idea what Whey was. Thanks for the info everyone. It's likely the lactose intolerance :( What a bummer! I have this HUGE container I got as a gift and I was really hoping to use it up. Maybe I can ask the giver to trade me a different brand haha ;)

I've also read that it should be drank slowly, would that have any effect?
  • sarah44254
    Options
    The following is from the Whey Protein Institute website. Note sure what that is but here is what it says about Whey and Lactose intolerance.

Q: If I'm lactose intolerant should I avoid whey protein?

A: Individuals with lactose intolerance should select a pure whey protein isolate, which has less than 0.1 gram of lactose per tablespoon (20 grams). This is less lactose than the amount found in a cup of yogurt and research has shown that most people with lactose intolerance have no trouble taking this very small amount of lactose. Individuals with lactose intolerance should avoid whey protein concentrates as they usually contain lactose and the amount can vary greatly from product to product.

Hmm just read the canister, and it does say "whey protein isolate" on it. I also saw that it has "added LACTASE for help in digestion" I've never heard of lactase!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You'll find that if you are lactose intolerant that whey protein mixes have a similar effect on you as milk. I went through the same thing myself. I couldn't use whey or cassien-based protein mixes.

I switched to soy protein mixes (Brand: EAS -- you can get them at Wal-mart) and haven't had a problem since. I prefer the chocolate mix, but they have vanilla as well.

Keep me posted should you change brands.

Shawn