How high does your heart rate usually get?

ilovethemayhem
ilovethemayhem Posts: 23
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I know that it's different for everyone but I'm just wondering what other people find a comfortable heart rate.
I'm most comfortable at in the 170 and 180 range. 190 and up is too high and makes me uncomfortable. Any lower than 170 and I feel like I'm not challenging myself.

So what's your highest comfort level and what's too low for you?

Replies

• iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Oh, to be 18 again... Age plays a big part in that different for everyone thing, as does general level of fitness. I'm 28, but 170 is really my absolute limit these days. I can settle into a good groove around 155-160, if I warm up properly, but much more than 160 and I'm working really hard.

Edit: Too low? Hard to say, I am such a lazybones! But so low that it doesn't feel like anything... mm, maybe 115. Even then I notice a "hum" that's my body cranking along harder than at rest. Honestly I don't see much in between that range. I either exercise light or go all out.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    Well- I have an upper and lower level... it really depends on what type of work out I'm doing... when I'm doing weights, my heart rate does not get as high as when I'm doing cardio stuff. Most of the time during cardio my heart rate stays within the 160-180 range. I think my absolute highest heart rate is 197 and I have never, nor will ever, push myself to that limit.
  • pinksgirlfriend
    pinksgirlfriend Posts: 32 Member
    it varies for everyone...im 38 yrs old...and vary overweight...i only go to...like 135...
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Well my range to "work" in on my monitor is set at 156 to 181 as per my instructor. But if I am below 165 I don't feel I am working hard enough. Normally during a work out I try to push up to 189 at least once and then bring it back down. Overall my average heart rate for a work out is normally 169 - 172 :)
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Y'all are making me feel like a wimp, LOL....
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    I average between 140 and 180. (im 25)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Good gracious! My highest I've ever recorded is 140. I am 45 yrs old, though, so maybe that's why? And my resting heart rate is about 50, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I'm usually in the 120's or 130's when I'm sweating a lot.

What's your resting HR?
  • If yo are training for something then high heart rate is fine. I dont go above170 or 180.

To burn fat you should find your optimum heart rate and limit yourself to a "zone" fo 10 or so bpm.

I find that ate my age/weigth/gender I have to stay in the 125-140 range to get the best results.

If I'm out on a raod ride and want to build up so I can blow someone away I will do some intervls that take me as high as 180 or more.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    To find the heart rate range you should be exercising, you should use the Age Adjusted Max Heart Rate (AAMHR) formula:
    220 - age = Max Heart Rate

Take your MHR and multiply it by .7 and .8 to get a good range. 70% is the low end and 80% is the higher end. This is an area that would be comfortable for you to exercise in and should keep you in a good, fat burning zone.

Yes, other testing is more accurate than this method, but it's also expensive and inconvenient. This is the best method I have found for finding my target heart rate for exercise. Good luck!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    I don't actually know my number, I have my HRM set on %, so I know in terms of how hard I'm working. I try to keep it above 80% to really get a good workout. Somedays, depending on what I'm doing, that's not hard at all! I figure if I'm at least 70% then I know I'm doing something. Resting for me is about 35- 45%
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Typically I find myself in a good workout between 160-170, when I go over the 170's i'm usually out of breath and working really hard. The highest I've seen my heart rate go was around 179, while hiking and I slowed myself down. I don't want to push it any further than that :) My heart rate monitor also lets me know what my heart rate should be between to be getting a good workout. It suggests between 155-175 and lets me know if it gets to high :)
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Good gracious! My highest I've ever recorded is 140. I am 45 yrs old, though, so maybe that's why? And my resting heart rate is about 50, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I'm usually in the 120's or 130's when I'm sweating a lot.

What's your resting HR?

My resting HR is in the 80's, I have seen it around 65 before but that is when I was really relaxed at the end of a yogo/meditation class :)
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    im 47 my zone is 125 to 158 thats when im working hard first 15 mins (after warm up) of a run it can go as high as 175 but always comes down once i get into the groove. but stay in the zone is best
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    he4y another question what monitors are you all using
  • mrscates
    I use the Polar FT60 and love it!
    he4y another question what monitors are you all using
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I use the Reebok XT HRM. It's awesome. Got it off Ebay for like $40.

My HR is usually around 172 when I'm running. That's pretty normal for me and I'm 31.
  • mrscates
    My resting HR is in the 80's and the highest my HR ever got was 192 but that was running on the treadmill at 7mph, LOL

What's your resting HR?
  • MaryAnne1
    MaryAnne1 Posts: 183 Member
    I've got a Polar FT7. When I really push myself, my heart rate goes up to the low 180s. My resting heart rate is in the high 60s.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    165-to 170's 180 is a little high for me, above 185 and im dyeing, red faced, about to pass out, cant breath....
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    My HR is high just sitting. I don't know why. Doctors don't seem concerned so I don't worry about it. However, it does mean that its higher when I'm working out...my average HR for a good workout is 180-195. Whenever I see it hit that 200 mark, I bring it down a notch. Not because I feel out of breath but because I'm scared of croaking or something...lol...

I know the moment I'm having an off day or my HR has dropped. Low for me is 160-170.
This discussion has been closed.