Ran my Marathon, Now What?

mgaither
mgaither Posts: 115
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Last year I spend the first half of the year getting in shape for my wedding, and the second half training for the Baltimore Marathon. In general, I'm not a good runner. I'm SLOW and steady. I always imagined that a marathon was something I couldn't do, so I decided that meant I would have to run one to prove myself wrong. I did.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Do I train to run another one? (That "high" was so addicting!) Do I find some other races as motivation to work out? I like to always have a challenge ahead, because it keeps me accountable to my workouts and general fitness. Any ideas on what to tackle next, or should I just be happy to workout every day and call it good?

Thanks for the insights!

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Um...not sure what to tell you. Find something that makes you happy I guess, doesn't have to be a marathon. Some of us are a little crazy though....I already have the year planned out...around races.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Do more thons!!! Some halves maybe. Heck maybe even a sprint(or olympic) tri...Then again I enjoy challenging myself and pushing my limits
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    I would say to sign up for something (another marathon, 1/2 of a tri/duathalon) to keep yourself motivated (if you difficulty staying motivated)... I wish I had kept up the longer distances and could get motivated to do another marathon. It is such a great feeling! I still do shorter distances (up to 6/7 miles), and just registered for another 1/2 for next October, but it is still hard to get those longer runs in...
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    I have a friend that went through the same thing. He decided to do the marathon again but this time he decided to focus on the time element instead of just focusing on just trying to finish which was his goal with the first one he ever ran. Another friend of mine decided to take on the new challenge of triathlons. They do them all the time now.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Congrats on doing a marathon!!! Why not try-a-triathlon! Adds a little more variety while still building on your solid running foundation.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I ran my first marathon in October. I'm doing P90X over the winter as I don't live in an area I can run as much over the winter months. My goal for 2011 is to get faster, I too am slow and steady. I've taken a minute per mile off my 10K time with P90X already. My intention is to run a race a month, with at least one half-marathon. I will someday run another marathon, but I really need to wait until my kids are older and can watch themselves while I train (they are 11 and 9). I would like to get faster before I run another one. My 11 yo has been running with me, and he wants to run a marathon with me at 15 (I told him he can't do it until then). HTH, I think a lot of it depends on what you want, speed or the love of running at whatever speed.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    More races! I ran 12 in 2010, goal is to run 13 this year...including my first half (actually, 2-3) and a full. Also trying to run 1000 miles and run races in 5 new states!

I agree on the goals though, I've been setting monthly running mile goals and that definitely makes me get outside in the cold weather and get it done. Otherwise, I'd probably be sitting on the couch!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    ...or set a goal for a faster marathon this year.
  • I ran a marathon about 3 years ago.I then proceede to put 35 lbs back on.I'm now training for the Pan Mass bike challenge.Good luck in whatever you decide!!
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Thanks guys. I think I will definitely consider a Tri! I'm considering doing P90x over the next few months until it warms up, but I'd definitely be open to trying the swim/bike/run thing.

Thanks Again!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    More races! I ran 12 in 2010, goal is to run 13 this year...including my first half (actually, 2-3) and a full. Also trying to run 1000 miles and run races in 5 new states!

I agree on the goals though, I've been setting monthly running mile goals and that definitely makes me get outside in the cold weather and get it done. Otherwise, I'd probably be sitting on the couch!
    mine is one a month!!!!!!!!
  • FainJ
    FainJ Posts: 25
    I've done two marathons, and I found them to be somewhat draining. I think I will stick with half marathons--a lot easier on the body, and i actually had fun! Even played a round of golf afterward. But I felt a great sense of accomplishment completing the fulls.

I'm trying to get motivated for a half marathon in Nashville, 30 April.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.