Heart Rate Question

TaraMaria
TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay so, I almost posted this question a couple of nights ago and then decided against it. Posting on a different thread I finally decided, meh, why not?? Ha ha!

I've done a lot of research on Heart Rate Zones. But I'm confused. I'm 24 years old any my HR should be around 117 – 166 in order to fit into the different zones: Fat burning, aerobic, target heart rate zones...And then at the very top there is the athletic zone. Or the flaming red zone. Be careful up there because you might fall off zone. For me it tops off right at 180.

180 is usually right where I begin and feel great! My HR while working out is usually 180-195. Sometimes I see that number hit 200 and I pull back. My issue is I have a very high heart rate while resting. On average, just laying around my HR is 90-100. My doctors aren't concerned so I'm not. I'm also on multiple medications so this may just be a side affect.

However am I hurting myself by not staying in some magical zone that will burn and strengthen and grow my hair? Okay joking about the hair but the rest of it? I seriously don't feel that I'm pushing myself over the edge when I get my HR up like that. Just running! That is my average HR for any cardio I do. If its any less I feel like I'm not working out.

Just curious to see what you guys thought. I'm not trying to loose weight, trying to strengthen and tone.

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Great post. I've been wondering this. I do HIIT workouts two-three times a week and I can't get mine over 171. I swear I'm working, runnning, jumping, squatting as hard as I possible can but that just seems low to me. I am huffing and puffing at the end of an interval. I'm also not getting the calorie burn from HIITS that other people get. I know that other people's weight, height and fitness level affect this but it's HUGE differences. Just wondering if genetically that is my best.
  • TaraMaria
    Great post. I've been wondering this. I do HIIT workouts two-three times a week and I can't get mine over 171. I swear I'm working, runnning, jumping, squatting as hard as I possible can but that just seems low to me. I am huffing and puffing at the end of an interval. I'm also not getting the calorie burn from HIITS that other people get. I know that other people's weight, height and fitness level affect this but it's HUGE differences. Just wondering if genetically that is my best.

See that is interesting to me. My husband is 6'4" and weighs over 250 pounds, for now! :o) He just started running and man, its like seeing a terminator in motion! I've never seen anything like it! I look at him thinking, DEAR HEAVENS! He has to be burning about 1,000,000,000 calories right now and have a decent HR going. Takes his HR. 140. SERIOUSLY?! :noway: :noway: :noway: I don't get it? I run, its 200. He runs, its 140.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    The whole MHR = 220 - your age is NOT an exact science. If you feel fine at that heart rate and there's no adverse reactions then you are okay to keep working out at that rate.
  • Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    Resting heart rate and medication must play a big part...I'm 34 and my resting HR is high 50's to low 60's. I'd never thought of it but when I went to the dr I was asked if I work out a lot, most women my age have a resting HR in the 90's (usually because of a lack of activity). My HR when working out is usually between 110 - 160.

Tara, I know you are very active. I don't know why your resting HR is higher. It may be your age, medication? I don't know what a "good" resting HR is for "youngins". =-)
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    For you to use heart rate monitoring effectively you must know what YOUR maximum heart rate is. Your maximum heart rate is genetically determined and not a function of your fitness. The calculations that are widely used are just not that useful as your maximum may be way higher. For example I am 57 years old so if I take 220 - 75=163. Well I am just warming up at 163. My real max is more like 190. Once you know YOUR maximum then you take percentages of that number to get the different zones. It is a bit more than can be explained here but you might want to consider getting a book about heart rate training. There are many. Mine is a few years old but I used "Precision Heartrate Training" by Edmund Burke and it was very good. How to determine your max heart rate though is not so easy. The best way is clinical tesing on treadmill or such. You can do it yourself also and keep in mind that max heart rates are sports specific due to different muscles used. So if you want the zones for running then determine your max heart rate while actually running. The books describe various ways of doing it but as I recalled I did 5 repeats of running up a hill as fast as I could. You need to push as hard as you can until you feel you are going to die (don't try without doctors OK if you are over certain age or risk factors for heart disease etc.). You can also observe your highest heart rates during a short race like 5 K to get an idea. At least that will get you in the ballpark. You really need to do some study/research on the topic or read a book to get all the benefits and do it correctly.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Déjà vu - this thread is going on currently and has more answers.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/151097-how-high-does-your-heart-rate-usually-get
  • TaraMaria
    Déjà vu - this thread is going on currently and has more answers.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/151097-how-high-does-your-heart-rate-usually-get

I saw this thread and even commented...I just wanted to ask a more precise question and not steal her thread! :o)

All of your answers really help! I feel a whole heck of a lot better! :o)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    I have this SAME problem Tara!! Well, I'm not sure its a "problem" yet...but I get scared. I am 25 years old. My heart rate seems naturally high. I workout in the 167-180 range, especially if I am running. When I ran my last half marathon, toward the end I was getting into the 190s. Although I didn't feel out of breath or anything I got scared because I didn't want something bad to happen. I also get into the 190's at the peak of my Turbo Kick class that I teach.....but I stay mostly in the 170's and 180s throughout that workout as well. Although my doctors seem fine about my heart rate too...I can't help but worry. Especially when I read these stories about men and women who are running and suddenly fall into the bushes having some sort of heart failure, even after having a family history clear of heart problems, and having gone to the doctor.

I've wondered if my Birth Control has a contributing factor to my high heart rate. I am going to try to get off of it for a while to see (that makes me slightly worried...but oh well).

I didn't start wearing a heart rate monitor until I was a junior in college--so about 5 years ago...and my heart rate then was pretty high naturally too. I always thought it was because I was chunky and I'm the type of person to always push myself........

I've asked this question to my doctor as well as to some fitness people...and I can't seem to get a definite answer other than "You are healthy, its okay" or "everyone is different".... which doesn't quite satisfy me ..haha!
  • TaraMaria
    I was ALWAYS convinced that my heart rate was high because I was overweight. I remember two years ago in November being at Mayo clinic sitting in bed. My HR was THROUGH the roof. I didn't have anything exciting going on the next day, I was just laying there watching TV. I thought it was for sure a symptom of whatever undiagnosed disease I had. I remember thinking well at least I'm at Mayo clinic now with this happening! Ha ha!

However even though I'm on meds now to help combat it, the HR is still high. It still makes me uncomfortable and I don't particularly like the whole "everyone is different" answer either. Everyone is different sure...I don't want to be differently dead. It never goes higher then 200 but still...nerve racking.

On a side note...I have really low blood pressure....can someone tell me how this works??? LOL!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    still wondering if anyone out there has any insight on this?????
  • TaraMaria
    Do you think we should repost the question as HIGH Heart Rate: Is this normal or are we weird? lol :o)
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    yeah maybe!? :)
This discussion has been closed.