Diet Dr. Pepper??? Is it ok to drink?

Options
I need some opinions on DIET DR.PEPPER.....

I used to drink Dr.Pepper but switched to DIET when I started this program.... I only drink ONE diet dr pepper a day its ZERO calories... but I still am ifiy about drinking it!?!?!?

Should I just stick to water???

I have gave up my SWEET DECAF TEA all together =( Which was the hardest thing ever!!!

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There's a TON of controversy on this topic. Are you not drinking any calories? Yes and that's great BUT there's a lot of people that take issue with the artificial sweeteners that are in diet beverages. If you're only having 1 a day I think it's fine....but that's just me.
  • TORNATO1
    TORNATO1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The sodiuim in diet drinks is what's gona get you. Have you tried Diet Right? I it's no Dr Pepper, but it's a carbonated drink thats better for you then regular soda. I was drinking 4 or 5 diet Cokes a day, now I'm only drinking water for now and I sure feel better.
  • keiarawr
    Options
    Well, I personally refuse to drink any diet drink. The reason why is in the article below. Thought you might find it interesting. :)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/04/earlyshow/contributors/emilysenay/main2330142.shtml
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Try to just stick to water. Artificial sweeteners are interpreted by the brain to be the same as natural sugars. So insulin is released which stops the body from burning fat. Sugar from your blood is used for energy instead, and then, to counter the hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) you have to eat more to replenish the blood sugar.

Bottom line, artificial sweetener is very counterproductive for weight loss.

And then there are all the potential health problems like cancer...
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine. It's much better than regular pop for calories and such and I've learned you've got to have somethings still or you'll eventually lose all control and binge. I don't think one a day is bad at all
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define "okay."

If ok = no calories, than yes.
    If ok = no artificial sweeteners, than no.
    If ok = good for your body, then no one really knows.

And so much more. IcePrincess is right, there is a lot of controversy and science doesn't seem to agree. Many think that the "sweet load" without calories tricks your body into waiting for carbs, and when they don't come, you actually get hungrier. Some studies have shown that people that drink diet sodas weigh more than people who drink regular sodas.

From personal experience, I had to give up Diet sodas because when I ate them, I found myself craving fatty, salty foods.
  • kellalynn
    Options
    The sodium will make you retain water and it will hinder your weight loss.... even though there are zero calories - water is a much better option! If you crave pop, try carbonated or seltzer water - it gives you that fizz and there are no artificial sweeteners!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Try to just stick to water. Artificial sweeteners are interpreted by the brain to be the same as natural sugars. So insulin is released which stops the body from burning fat. Sugar from your blood is used for energy instead, and then, to counter the hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) you have to eat more to replenish the blood sugar.

Bottom line, artificial sweetener is very counterproductive for weight loss.

And then there are all the potential health problems like cancer...
    I disagree. I drink diet Mt Dew all the time and have no problems at all with everything you listed. Also, she is only drinking one per day.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The sodiuim in diet drinks is what's gona get you. Have you tried Diet Right? I it's no Dr Pepper, but it's a carbonated drink thats better for you then regular soda. I was drinking 4 or 5 diet Cokes a day, now I'm only drinking water for now and I sure feel better.

I wish people would get off the whole there's a ton of sodium in Diet drinks. There's NOT. It's approx. 40mg of sodium in a can which is not a lot.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    DRINK IT, LOVE IT AND IGNORE THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE YOU FEEL GUILTY WITH STRANGE ANTI-POP SCIENCE!!

Check out other pop-lovers and successful skinny-minnies here;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/140065-the-pro-diet-pop-soda-thread?hl=diet+pepsi+
  • Anna19911
    Anna19911 Posts: 141
    Options
    I honestly don't see anything wrong with you drinking one diet pop a day. I love pop and I still have the habbit of drinking at least 2 a day. But i highly doubt you'll get a cancer from it. I guess as long as your not drinking like 5 pops a day, I think you'll be fine. What worrys me about soda, whether its diet or not, is my teeth.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    btchfight.gif
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Stick to water...it'll make your journey easier.

:o]
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much soda anymore because of two back to back kidney infections (may have not had nothing to do with it but I'm not taking a chance of going through that again) but one a day isn't going to hurt you.
  • Ginnyland
    Options
    When I first started drinking diet drinks, I went with diet pepsi because pepsi was my drink. however, i didn't really care for it in diet. (lol)

Diet Dr. Pepper is all i drink now. It was a little strong at first and it's not good hot, but a good and cold one is the way to go. It is very similar to the regualar dr. pepper.

Good Luck!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I drink either a diet Pepsi or diet Dr. Pepper when I get to work in the morning, and usually some form of diet soda with my dinner in the evening.

I have not found it to adversely affect my progress over the last 12 months.
  • lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The researchers are saying that drinking diet drinks kind of programs you to crave sweet things, whereas if you didn't eat or drink sweet things you would not crave them as much. So they were finding that people didn't lose weight by drinking diet drinks, because they ate more sugary foods.
    so in my opinion, as long as it seems like you are staying in your calorie goal and your cravings are not out of hand you can drink diet drinks if you want them.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    As long as your liquid intake all day doesn't consist of Diet Dr. Pepper, I think you're fine. There are going to be so many people on here that will tell you that they don't drink it or never have. I DO drink diet coke every day, and it never affected my weight loss. Again, I have my fair share of water or so, so I never feel guilty. But it's a must have for me, toilet bowl cleaner or not! :drinker:
  • jtgill
    jtgill Posts: 48
    Options
    I would DIE, literally DIE without Diet Dr. Pepper!!!! But like people have said, don't make it all you drink :)