Can you touch ur toes?

Options
Hey Everyone!
I tried to find a page on this already ... but no such luck.

I just wanted to know if you could point me to some really good stretching websites, or any advice?
My goal is to touch my damn toes! hahah it's be far too long, i'm really not flexible, and I want to start doing some sort of easy daily stretching routine..perferably, one that isnt going to be like 45 min long.

Even when I just sit up with my legs out, my calves hurt..
that' bad!
help!
oh, btw, i sit at a desk for like 14hrs a day..
8.5hr work day, then school for 4-5hrs a night.
is this making things worse? I've been going to the gym and always stretch after, but I clearly need some better stretches.. i really only do like a calf and thigh stretch.. that's it.
I'd like to touch my toes, do the splits, maybe a leg over my head like I used too.. *** if you catch my drift**** :love:
haha, thanks everyone!

Replies

• chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to, I don't think. My legs are too long or I'm just not that flexible.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You should take a yoga or ballet class!

There is a gentle, simple bit of yoga exercises in "You: On a Diet" that would be a good start for someone with limited flexibility. Just remember that stretching shouldn't hurt--don't push yourself to go too far, too fast.

I'm sure you can find a whole list of yoga and ballet stretches online. I used to be very flexible (took a lot of dance classes as a kid) and could drop into the splits without any warmup. Yeah, not so much now. So I've been doing yoga, just recently, and I can already see the difference. It feels SO good.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Funny ending!!!
    In my area most physical therapy centers offer a free evaluation. Maybe you could have them look you over and offer specific ideas designed around you. Just a thought
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    'For best results you need to stretch every day and it's best to warm up with several minutes of cardio to get circulation pumping and get muscles prepared to stretch they need to be warm. Think of a rubber band and how it is if it's cold and you stretch it it won't stretch as well and may break. The muscles are the same.

To touch the toes it's the hamstring muscles along with the lower back. If these muscles are stiff then it's hard to touch toes. The hamstrings are the leg muscles on the back of the thigh. You will also need to stretch the entire back of the leg like the back of the knees and calves.

You simply bend over and reach for the toes and hold the stretch for 10-15 seconds, straighten up and do it several times each time trying to get closer to the toes.

Along with floor exercises where you get into leg splits position and hold it for 10-15 seconds then stretch a little further and hold again. You can also place your leg on a chair or bench and bend and reach for the toes hold the stretch again for 1-15 seconds, straight up and do it again. If you are consistent you will be more flexible.

Do it every day if possible if you get sore massage the legs and apply heat to help relax them. A hot shower works best then massage after finished while muscles are warm.
    Source(s):
    http://www.besthomexercises.com
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yup! And I'm all legs and NOT an athlete/dancer. You can work up to it no problem. Start by sitting in a v-sit position and tuck your left leg in, reach for your right toe with your right arm. As you get better you should be doing this in a true v-sit (no leg tucking) and grabbing your toes with the opposite hand. V-sits are much better on your back and body overall than sitting with legs together in front of you.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee has an AM Yoga DVD that has 5 different routines.
    I think it's called AM Yoga.
    Search amazon.com
    It was my intro to yoga.
    He is awesome.
    It's a great way to start your day.
    Good luck with the toes!
    Steph
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    yoga! there's tons of videos on youtube and netflix
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Just a note that you may want to have an assesment by a pilates instructor or look into pilates. Often the back of the legs tighten up to protect the back/pelvis. Stretching the legs alone may cause them to get even tighter and/or cause back pain. Adding segmental spinal movement like you would get in pilates can prevent this.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    give me a sec *gets up from computer* i can touch my toes but i have to like bounce to do it lol... *sigh* i remeber when touching my toes was nothing... *looks for yoga videos online*
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be able to SEE my toes. I'll worry about touching them when I know they exist......
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com...they've got some great articles and videos on exercises...

:o]