Question about running...

LokiFae
LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I've started to run again after a brief hiatus, and I'm having some numbness in my right big toe. It started on Sunday (the day after my first run) and it hasn't gone away, not even after sleeping. It's like, a weird tingly, my foot fell asleep feeling. I am going to go to the doctor to rule out anything serious, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If you have, what did you do to alleviate it? I've been resting it as much as possible, but with two little ones and a house that always needs cleaning, I can't sit and rest it all the time.

I did notice last night that while I was icing my ankles after running, it felt like it was starting to come back to life a little, but not completely. I also noticed that while wearing a particular pair of (new) shoes, it gets worse.

So do any seasoned runners have any advice, or does it have absolutely nothing to do with running?

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    I also run often and every single time, my toes go numb! It doesn't matter which pair of shoes I wear. About 5 years ago I was a hardcore elliptical user and also experienced it every day on the elliptical machine. I notice that my toes go numb more when I am running on my treadmill rather than when I run outside. I don't have the tingly feeling stay though. I would like to hear some responses to this as well!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I used to get something like this in my left middle toe when I was wearing stiletto heels to work every day. Basically, it got so squished that it started losing feeling. It must have damaged some nerves a little because now it doesn't bend like my right middle toe. I can't control it much. Not that it matters, I don't do much with my toes, but still.

So I would guess that maybe your shoe was a little too tight and a nerve got a little pinched. Stretch your toes, foot and ankle to loosen things up.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    It sounds like a pinched nerve almost. I've never experienced it linked with running but I had it a while back and they linked mine to a B-12 deficiency. The fact that yours came after you ran, is irritated with ice and a certain pair of shoes leads me to believe its related to running rather then something else.

Have you been fitted for running shoes? I did that first off to see if I leaned in when I ran or outward and to avoid any knee issues. Our feet obviously take the brunt of running and I wonder if you're toe just didn't like it. I have a finicky body and thats why I went and got fitted at a running store for a pair of shoes to make sure I didn't have any issues.

I know that the looser I tie my shoe strings the better my feet feel afterwards. Maybe it was something as simple as that? They also say you need at least a half inch between your big toe and the top of your shoe when running.
This discussion has been closed.