Walking Speed

Options
I'm new here and I logged my first exercise this morning, only I was disappointed with the choices because according to the treadmill, I was going at a pace of 2.7mph. Now, I'm only 5' tall, and at the speed that I was going, it felt that it was a pretty brisk walk, but according to MFP:

Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace

Should I change my entry on MFP to a speed that matches "brisk walk" even though the number won't be correct?

Replies

• vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options
    i run at 4.2 and 4.0 is a very very brisk walk - not sure who is walking but holy crap!! 5.0 is suppose to be a normal person run pace. i'm 5'7 and 234 soi thought i was doing great at 4,2
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, that "leisurely pace" thing gets on my nerves because that's about how I'm walking on the treadmill right now and at my weight, it is sooooo not leisurely to me!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and I logged my first exercise this morning, only I was disappointed with the choices because according to the treadmill, I was going at a pace of 2.7mph. Now, I'm only 5' tall, and at the speed that I was going, it felt that it was a pretty brisk walk, but according to MFP:

Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace

Should I change my entry on MFP to a speed that matches "brisk walk" even though the number won't be correct?
    same thing for me and im 5ft tall 3.0 has me jogging haha
  • johaleesi
    johaleesi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Me too!!! I think they base that on very tall people with looooong legs LOL.
  • imagoofyg00b3r
    Options
    I'm 5'0" also and when I started exercising about a week and a half ago, I only got up to about 3.0 when it comes to walking. At the time, that for me felt like I was power walking and using all of my strength to get my little legs(well...the length of them is little anyway, hah!) moving. Now that I've been at it everyday for almost two weeks, I can EASILY walk at 4.0 and maintain the speed for 30 minutes, until my last 5 when I run. I think it has a lot to do with how much exercise you're used to. The more you keep it up, the more "leisurely" those speeds will feel. :)
  • johaleesi
    johaleesi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Hopefully I will get to that point in a couple of weeks too. Right now at 2.7 I feel like I'm power walking too.
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I have the short legs and am CONSTANTLY trying to "catch up" to people I'm walking with. I'd log it as a moderate if I were you!