Is there a way to count calories when cooking?

Options
MericoX
MericoX Posts: 199 Member
For example, I am making Chicken Alfredo tomorrow for dinner.

Besides making a separate portion for myself, is there a way I can calculate the calories per whatever size portion I have? I'd love to be able to eat what the rest of the family is eating every night, without making something different for myself or having to make my own measured out portion.

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If you plug it into sparkrecipes.com, it will calculate the batch and then you can split it by serving in their calculator:smile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just make it and then measure out MY portion. If you mix the chicken in with theirs, put outside say, 4 oz of chicken for yourself... weigh out your 2 oz of pasta for yourself and then measure out your 1/4 cup of sauce and mix yours together. Then you know what you have for YOURSELF.
  • amy_p
    amy_p Posts: 82
    Options
    Yes!

My husband and I create a recipe for each meal and then divide it by how many portions it makes. All you have to do is go to the Food tab, and then the Recipes sub-tab, and on the right it says 'enter new recipe'.

Search for each item and record how much of everything you use, and then enter how many servings. Then, on your log you can just put 1 serving in.

We use this tool every night for dinner! It makes it SO easy to track!

Hope that helps!

Amy
  • If you plug it into sparkrecipes.com, it will calculate the batch and then you can split it by serving in their calculator:smile:

The same thing is on MFP as well

Go to Food, then Recipes and Enter New Recipe

Then all you do is put in all of your ingredients there, how much the recipe serves and it will tell you the calories, sodium, carbs, etc per person
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    That is the one thing that has always discouraged me. I can do well all day long and then when it came to dinner, I would get completely frustrated. I love that MFP has the recipes and now add my recipes and can save them. Go to recipes under the food tab.
  • FutureFormerFatGurl
    Options
    I love the recipe builder on the site..I used it tonight.
  • MericoX
    Options
    If you plug it into sparkrecipes.com, it will calculate the batch and then you can split it by serving in their calculator:smile:

The same thing is on MFP as well

Go to Food, then Recipes and Enter New Recipe

Then all you do is put in all of your ingredients there, how much the recipe serves and it will tell you the calories, sodium, carbs, etc per person

Oh sweet, thanks guys!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I just found the MFP one, yay!
  • MericoX
    Options
    What if I don't know how many people it will feed? I just make a box of pasta, add in a jar of sauce, etc.
    Or will it calculate that for me?
  • FutureFormerFatGurl
    Options
    I had to do a little math...but I loved it =) 16oz of my homemade chili turned into 500 calories of yumminess..
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I would be totally lost without MFPs recipe builder. It is great and if even works on my iPhone. YAY!!!! Put your recipe through the builder, get your portion and let the family go wild with the rest.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe calculator here all the time.. I love it..
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What if I don't know how many people it will feed? I just make a box of pasta, add in a jar of sauce, etc.
    Or will it calculate that for me?

If you are using MFP's calculator (Food->Recipes), you can just add ingredients and it will tell you how much the whole thing is. Then after you enter the ingredients, you can decide how many portions you want it to be and it will divide the number for you.