Need help with running goal

Options
VanessaC
VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
Hi There,
So here is my fitness goal for the end of the summer...back in high school we had to run for twelve minutes and us girls got 100% if we completed 24 laps around the basketball court in that time. Although I'm not very athletic I set my mind to it and worked hard training during our gym classes. I was the only girl in our class who managed to finish all 24 laps (actually did 25 because my counter got confused). I would like to be able to do that again because it brought me such a great feeling of accomplishment. The problem is that I don't go to high school anymore and can't use the gym lines as my marker. So how far and how fast would I have to go on the treadmill? Can anyone help? Or does anyone want to worked towards the same goal?

Replies

• VanessaC
    Options
    Hi There,
    So here is my fitness goal for the end of the summer...back in high school we had to run for twelve minutes and us girls got 100% if we completed 24 laps around the basketball court in that time. Although I'm not very athletic I set my mind to it and worked hard training during our gym classes. I was the only girl in our class who managed to finish all 24 laps (actually did 25 because my counter got confused). I would like to be able to do that again because it brought me such a great feeling of accomplishment. The problem is that I don't go to high school anymore and can't use the gym lines as my marker. So how far and how fast would I have to go on the treadmill? Can anyone help? Or does anyone want to worked towards the same goal?
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm not positive but my gym class wanted us to run a mile in under 12 minutes or so so I would imagine it would be the same. Even if it isn't exactly head on its still a good goal to start with.good luck!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would map out a path in your neighborhood. Use your car. I mapped out a 2 mile path in my neighborhood and use it for my marathon training. I just do in consecutive times when I want to do more mileage. I would suggest to train outside. The treadmill is good but outside is better. Plus you burn more calories outside on the pavement.

Alisha
  • VanessaC
    Options
    Well I started working towards my goal the other night. I tried running outside because, you're right, it is a lot nicer, but I have shin splints from playing volleyball back in the day and the pavement doesn't help. I may try to go on one of the trails around town but I had the jogging stroller with my little one so I wanted to stay on easy terrain since she is still is bit small for all of the bumps.

Then last night I tried the treadmill while watching So You Think You Can Dance (side note-some of those people can really move). I started with 5 mins at 5mph and will gradually add 30 seconds each time. That's how we did it in high school anyway (well 1 min at a time) so I figured might as well try it that way.
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    There is a website that calculates the runs you do outside. Its really neat.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/

Also start small. I started running five minutes a day for a week and then I added a minute for week two. Now I can run a 10k (5 months later).
  • Xtracrispy69
    Options
    Its great to set a running goal. I've come from 207 to 167 with a 6:30 mile, 13 2 mile. Still want to hit the 6 min mark. Just watch running on the knees. I run once every two weeks, light job every so often.You'll do great
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't still have shin splints from "back in the day". They heal with rest and recoop so if you are getting reoccuring shin splints I would look for new sneaks.. try ones that are a size larger, maybe even wider if you need but that shouldn't be an issue at this point ifyou haven't been playing volleyball.
  • VanessaC
    Options
    I just found a website called The Couch-to-5K Running Plan. Go to http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml if you want to try a running goal too.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Vanessa - please come and join our MFP Runners Club!! We are all runners supporting eachother and we would love to help you accomplish your goal! There are lots of vetern runners in the club that can answer your questions! Come and play with us!! :happy:

:flowerforyou: Tricia
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    If you have a standard track in your area (like around a football field), 4 laps is 1 mile (just over 400 yards per lap). If you want a regimen to build up to that, use the 1/2 lap method, where you jog hard for 1/2 a lap, slow down to about 60% for 1/2 a lap, and repeat. After you feel comfortable with this (usually 2 to 3 weeks) you can increase to 3/4 of a lap fast and 1/4 slow ...etc.
    To equate this to a tred mill, I would use 0.1 miles as your basis. but you can use what ever you feel comfortable starting with.
    If this is too hard a start, you can reduce the hard running distance and increase the slow jog distance, the emphasis is on running hard for a period of time, don't slow down your hard run, rather shorten the distance, you want to train your body how to sustain the hard run, not get it used to running at an easier pace. Once you feel like you can run the whole mile, you can then continue training with more advanced techniques, if you go to runners world there are plenty of good tutorials. www.runnersworld.com (fyi, it's a great site for all levels of runner, with great articles and tutorials).
  • VanessaC
    Options
    So I started the training program from The Couch-to-5K Running Plan today. It went well. Wasn't too hard but wasn't a piece of cake either. I think it will work. I like the advice from Banks too though so I may try doing that once in awhile too. Who knows maybe I'll be able to run for more then a few minutes at a time with my kids by the end of the summer.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    So I started the training program from The Couch-to-5K Running Plan today. It went well. Wasn't too hard but wasn't a piece of cake either. I think it will work. I like the advice from Banks too though so I may try doing that once in awhile too. Who knows maybe I'll be able to run for more then a few minutes at a time with my kids by the end of the summer.

Congrats for getting started - that is a great acheivement !! It is never easy in the beginning, just listen to your body and stay with the program - it works!!

I can only tell you from my experience that when i ran my first 5K it was the most exhilirating, exciting, amazing experience!
  • VanessaC
    Options
    So I started this post a few months ago but didn't really follow through. So with the fall I decided to recommit to a few things and this goal is one of them but I have expanded it and decided to do 5k in December as a fundraiser. And my husband is going to do it with me which is nice. So I jumped on the treadmill last night, the first time in about three months, and did a little warm up before adjusting the speed to 5 and low and behold I was able to go for 17 minutes after a three minute warm-up and then followed by a three min cool down. I have been doing a lot of cardio videos throughout the summer and I knew I felt healthier but I was so excited to have made it that far. It has given me a renewed energy and I am off to the races once again.