Not Sure What to do

Options
I am new to the site and weigh about 170 pounds and am 5 ' 5. I only comsume about 1000 calories a day and do moderate exercise yet this site suggests I am not eating enough and am putting my body in starvation mode. I have always thought that you need to eat less to lose weight...It does not make sense to eat more and lose weight...What am I missing ? Thanks for all comments

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    apparently eating too few calories causes your body to go into conservation mode -- your metabolism slows so you won't starve to death.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of nutrition and "fuel" from your food. If you get less your body won't function properly and will eventually start storing fat instead of burning it.

I was in starvation mode when I started here. I was eating 400-700 calories per day. Once I started eating the right amount of food (meeting my daily calorie goal plus eating exercise calories) I started losing weight immediately.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to eat less, however, you need to eat ENOUGH as well. You NEED to eat more than 1200 a day or else your body will think it's starving. Think of it as not eating "less calories" think of it as eating less FOOD. Use portion control. Count all your calories, plug it into your log on MFP and if you find yourself below 1200, find snacks (healthy snacks) to bump that number up!!
  • ariesldsgal
    ariesldsgal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also be sure to measure your servings so you know if you're having one serving or several servings without realizing.