Heart Rate Monitor

angelmuss
angelmuss Posts: 45
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Which one do you have have? Why do you like it. I really want to get one...but there are so many to choose from. I don't really want to spend too much on something I will not like.

Do they all tell you how many calories you burn? I am confused!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    If you're looking for one to use while doing dvds, walking, running etc, i would recommend the polar ft4. It comes with a chest strap (and the wrist watch) for accuracy. You push a button, it tells you your HR, you push it again and it "starts". You don't push it again until your workout is finished & voila, tells you your calories burned.

It's the best tool i ever invested money in.
  • Thanks....going to check it out now!!
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    I have one made by New Balance. (cant remember model.) But i think it cost around $90. It also has the chest strap and wrist watch. I agree...very simple to use, and by far one of the best investments I have ever made!! I cant imagine working out without it now! I believe there are some decent reviews on Amazon if you want to check them out! Good luck!
  • I have the Polar RS400. I love it. It tells me how many calories I burn, the time I exercise in each zone and if I use the food pod it will calculate the miles I run. However, it is a little bit more advanced than some of the other Polar models. I have owned three different Polar watches. They were all very reliable. I started out with the Polar F6 - very basic watch and good one for a beginner, then I advanced to Polar RS200 and now the RS400.

I like the Polar cause they all use the chest strap and are more accurate than the ones out there wo the chest strap.

Good luck choosing.
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    I have a "POLAR" model :) I got it as a b-day gift (I asked for one), supposedly it was on a clearance table for like 15dollars!!! I couldn't believe it. I love this HRM! It has a band I put around my chest (that i don't even feel when wearing it) and then I have the watch that tracks everything.

It's quite accurate in the sense that it takes all your stats (age, weight, bmi, etc..), tells you what your target heartrate should be for working out, if you're pushing to hard, and at the end of the workout it sums up all the details so I can log them (cals, minutes, max hr, avg, hr). It does some other things too, like files away your workout details incase you want to go back, also does reports like this site does on calories burned, how often you work out, etc.. :)
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    I ♥ my Polar FT4!!!
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    I received the Polar FT7 for Christmas and was able to use it right out of the box without reading the instructions. Since I'm "technology challenged" that means it is really easy to use. It is comfortable,easy to clean and will beep if you get out of aerobic or aerobic mode, whichever you chose.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    If you're looking for one to use while doing dvds, walking, running etc, i would recommend the polar ft4. It comes with a chest strap (and the wrist watch) for accuracy. You push a button, it tells you your HR, you push it again and it "starts". You don't push it again until your workout is finished & voila, tells you your calories burned.

It's the best tool i ever invested money in.

I had the Polar F7 and loved it. I just bought a FT4 from ebay for $49.99 and impatiently awaiting it's arrival :)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    I just started using the Polar FT7, and I love it! I got my at Amazon for $81, and it is soooo worth the $$. I have learned that I burn more calories during strength training than cardio...I have miscalculating for almost a year. Definitely worth using for the most effective workout.
This discussion has been closed.