Is it considered cheating??

Options
I stick to my 1200 calories during the week. On the weekends, if I have something going on, I stick to my calories needed to maintain. (The extra 500) I've always said I'll never go on a diet because the minute I say I can't have something, I'm doomed from the begining.
I was in NYC for a yankees game and you betcha I got a hotdog at the stadium!
Anyway, I realize it'll take longer to lose the weight, but it this going to hurt me with the extra calories once or twice a week? Does my body get used to the 1200 during the week and use the extra 500 towards fat??
:) I'm a newbie here, still trying to figure it all out. Thank!!

Replies

• Aprilxlirpa
    Aprilxlirpa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I stick to my 1200 calories during the week. On the weekends, if I have something going on, I stick to my calories needed to maintain. (The extra 500) I've always said I'll never go on a diet because the minute I say I can't have something, I'm doomed from the begining.
    I was in NYC for a yankees game and you betcha I got a hotdog at the stadium!
    Anyway, I realize it'll take longer to lose the weight, but it this going to hurt me with the extra calories once or twice a week? Does my body get used to the 1200 during the week and use the extra 500 towards fat??
    :) I'm a newbie here, still trying to figure it all out. Thank!!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I think it is good for you to go over or under every once in a while. That way your body doesn't get used to one way of doing things. Sometimes going over can actually give your metabolism a kick in the pants.
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "Dieting" should be done at a pace that you are comfortable with. If you need more calories on the weekend and are aware that the weight loss may take longer, then I think you are 100% not cheating. You are doing what's right for you.

I would say as long as you are still entering your calories and not just throwing the whole thing out the window on the weekends, you will be fine.

Sounds like you have a terrific plan.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    You know..I think enjoying Life is more important. Don't feel like you are dieting just to punish yourself..you are trying to live longer and feel better.. Cheating once in a while is actually probably healthy for us all mentally..knowing ..hey ..I can enjoy this..this time.. and my next meal will be really healthy! I had a hotdog the other night at a baseball game.. but I thought of it more as a treat out enjoying the night kind of deal rather ..oh no..what have I done! We all work so hard during the week to keep to the low cal diet..every once in a while treat won't hurt ya.. so long as it doesn't trigger those old cravings or become a daily thing. I know ..for me... weekends are the hardest ..when you're out and about.. but I don't stop working out ..even if I eat bad..so it is not like every time I cheat a little..I throw in the towel for the whole day and call it quits..you know what I mean?
  • Meriller
    Meriller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing!

If you're too restrictive with your diet, I believe your setting yourself up for failure...
    I use the word diet as an 'eating lifestyle' vs. "DIET" because we all know that they don't work, and overly restricting yourself is exactly why...

You've got it right in my opinion!
    Long term success in mind!
    Good luck... :flowerforyou:
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree, though do be careful, weekends used to be my downfall! I'd drink too much and eat junk food the next day, and basically undo all my hard work during the week. But you have to have some flexibility, otherwise you'll just be thin and miserable! I find it hard to stick exactly to my calories even during the week - for example, I went over yesterday, but slightly under today and the day before yesterday. I'm trying not to get too obsessed about it, but keep a healthy balance.
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I for some reason feel the need to post again... to just say that there is no such thing as a food you CAN'T have. You can have anything you want, but it's about portion control and compensating. If you allow yourself 1700 calories on the weekend and eat pizza for every meal, so long as you stay within the calories, then you are ok.

If there is a food you want, and you work out or cut back on other calories, then I would never think that is bad.

I hate saying "cheating" because it implies that you are doing something against the "RULES". We are all adults, trying to lead a healthy lifestyle. If sometimes the choices aren't the healthiest, then so be it. So long as we understand that the weight won't come off as quickly, then it's fine. It's HEALTHY. :)
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are foods that are off limits, if you want to eat it, crave it ,see if you can find a lower cal/fat alternative but if all fails, go ahead and eat that pizza or burger or whatever. But if you have been eating healthy for a while you will see the difference in how you feel, and yes I think it's not just calories it is also important to eat healthy. My hubby works on lawnmowers and if you ever had one with bad gas in it, you know it doesn't run worth the darn. The more processed a food is the worse it is for your body. I think a lot of our health problems come from genetically engeniered, refined, processed, pestesized, food with additives, colours and preservatives. I might be wrong......
  • Caramel Cutie
    Options
    Well, there's some good news for you!:happy: If you walked around Yankee stadium and hooted and hollered while you were there, and spent time doing other things during the day you probably worked off that dog faster than you know it!:drinker: I don't know if you log in your exerise daily, but it ADDS additional calories to your day! Remember, reducing calories initially will get you to lose some weight. But, eventually you'll need to change the calories again to continue to lose weight. If you're maintaining, then one hotdog won't bust your 1200 calorie a day limit!!!:flowerforyou: