Anyone else slightly scared by their maintain calories?

I just found out my maintain calories for when I reach my goal weight - they're only 1430 a day! I'm eating about that amount now (though some are my exercise calories so I should be losing, albeit slowly), and this has really brought it home that this way of eating is for LIFE. Never will I be able to go back to eating what I want, when I want - I will always have to watch what I eat.

I already knew this deep down, in fact I've lost weight and put it back on twice so know how it works, but this has really brought it home. Kind of depressing really!

Anyone else had the same experience?

Replies

• IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    I just found out my maintain calories for when I reach my goal weight - they're only 1430 a day! I'm eating about that amount now (though some are my exercise calories so I should be losing, albeit slowly), and this has really brought it home that this way of eating is for LIFE. Never will I be able to go back to eating what I want, when I want - I will always have to watch what I eat.

I already knew this deep down, in fact I've lost weight and put it back on twice so know how it works, but this has really brought it home. Kind of depressing really!

• LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Yeah it can be a little depressing. It is certainly more than just a diet..rather a healthier lifestyle change all together. But think of how depressed we were while feeding our faces with oreo's and cheetos.. The type of depression we have now..the.. I will never ever EVER be able to eat a DingDong again in my life...will go away...especially when we see those extra pounds melt off!!:happy:
  • I came to that same realization a couple weeks ago. At first, I was bummed at the thought and felt like I was going to feel like I was missing out on so much. But you know what? I went to the grocery store today to pick up formula and a few other things for the kids and as I'm going through the aisles I'm looking at all these high fat, high calorie foods and I realized that the healthier, lower calorie foods I'm eating now taste better and satisfy me so much more. I'm not missing out on a single thing. This is the best way to be living and I'm so glad I found MFP. I just wish it had happened years ago.

:heart:
  • IndigoElectron
    I think what makes me a bit sad is that I have to change my lifestyle - I can't spend long summer days in the park drinking wine and eating crusty bread, no more nights out with the girls drinking creamy cocktails, no more tucking into a Sunday lunch at the pub with a nice stodgy pudding afterwards... Well, I can do these things, but very very occasionally.

But you know what - you're both absolutely right that being healthy, slim and fit will feel better than any of these things! So I will try not to get too down about it :happy:
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Actually, the healthier I eat, the more I realize that 1430 w/o exercise is quite easy to maintain, especially if you allow a little wiggle room now and then. I'm realizing that I can eat quite flavorful things, that I can have variety, and that I can have pizza and ice cream and chocolate pudding on occasion. I'm not as scared as I was.

Then again, I'm not losing weight, so maybe there's something wrong with this picture.
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    You CAN do those fun things....not every day, as you get older-that is just a fact of life. But you can do them...you just have to plan for them, exercise before and after them, eat really good the day before and the day after....have good cheese and veggies w/ that crusty bread and wine....make it balanced. And for heaven's sake, if you're gonna do it...do it RIGHT!!
    But as you make this committment to a healthy lifestyle those day's become rewards and great treats and your body is able to metabolize those things better. It's when we bog our system down with wine and junk daily that it takes it's toll.
    Don't be down...just put it on your calendar!!! And think how great you'll look sitting at the park with the wine!!!
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    I've been doing maintenance for a month, and I get 1940 calories a day... are you sure you calculated it right?

I have been able to maintain and actually most days have trouble getting in all my calories, especially if I work out.

Maybe I'M doing something wrong. LOL
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    I'm confused too because my maintenance calories is 1800! I've been eating my maintenance calories and exercise calories (sort of) the best I can anyway. Are you sure that's not your BMR number of calories?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Hi

I was eating about 1440 when I was loosing weight and with maintenance I've bumped my cals up tp 1600-1650
    (not as high as I was hoping)
    I'm trying to get in more exc so I can eat more :)

Kim
  • Koozy81
    Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member

...yes...bummer
  • IndigoElectron
    I'm confused too because my maintenance calories is 1800! I've been eating my maintenance calories and exercise calories (sort of) the best I can anyway. Are you sure that's not your BMR number of calories?

No, my BMR calories are 1181, for my goal they are only 1142! I worked out my maintenance calories by putting in my goal weight and clicking on 'maintain weight', that's correct, right? I'm currently on 1200 calories a day which is only a 250 calorie deficit, so I can't lose more than 1/2 pound a week. I'm only 5ft tall and my goal weight is 111.5 pounds which is right in the middle of a healthy weight for my height. Whether I will get there is another matter... :laugh:
  • IndigoElectron
    You CAN do those fun things....not every day, as you get older-that is just a fact of life. But you can do them...you just have to plan for them, exercise before and after them, eat really good the day before and the day after....have good cheese and veggies w/ that crusty bread and wine....make it balanced. And for heaven's sake, if you're gonna do it...do it RIGHT!!
    But as you make this committment to a healthy lifestyle those day's become rewards and great treats and your body is able to metabolize those things better. It's when we bog our system down with wine and junk daily that it takes it's toll.
    Don't be down...just put it on your calendar!!! And think how great you'll look sitting at the park with the wine!!!

Great post, you made me smile and got me motivated, thinking about sitting in the park and feeling body confident, something to look forward to!