week 2 -excited but a bit nervous

Options
Just started last week, I never counted calories before so I thought my calorie range was a bit high for me to see results,but I did lose 6 lbs the first week. I have a desk job and get very little exercise,(pending knee surgery), I am hoping just by changing my eating habits alone I will still see the sucess I need to get me through this..

Replies

• nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I have no excuse, I am just majorly lazy and a couch potato. And it doesn't seem to matter. calorie counting totally works. I've lost 20 pounds the past 2 months.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    6 lbs is awesome! Keep going!
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    well that is encourging..thanks
  • traceybarbour
    Options
    thanks I am dead on it... hoping this site will keep me on track
  • melissarforlife
    melissarforlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Its amazing what you CAN do if you just take the time to do it. Go to the store, and see what you like and what's in it. If you eat mostly whole foods you are good. An apple is very little cal! Just take one day at a time...you will do fine!
  • corina19
    Options
    yes 6 lbs is 6lbs and it goes from there im also on week 2 and counting cal. and walking ive lost 10 lbs and i feel good... cant wait to lose more ...keep up the good work
  • traceybarbour
    Options
    yea i agree i am looking at my calorie values much differently this week
  • traceybarbour
    Options
    thanks and same to you.. I love this site, I believe its going to get me thru
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    way to go on the 6pd loss!!!!
  • traceybarbour
    Options
    thank-you.:smile:
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You are soo welcome!!!!
  • everet36
    Options
    Just started last week, I never counted calories before so I thought my calorie range was a bit high for me to see results,but I did lose 6 lbs the first week. I have a desk job and get very little exercise,(pending knee surgery), I am hoping just by changing my eating habits alone I will still see the sucess I need to get me through this..
    Unless you are SEVERELY obese, 6lbs/week is TOO MUCH weight to lose. Most likely you will gain the weight back once you start eating normally again. Those weight loss shows you see on TV are unrealistic...which is why those people tend to gain the weight back more often than not. I'd shoot for 1lb/week, or 2lb/week if you're over 200lbs. Losing weight at a slower pace doesn't crash your BMR, but rather, keeps it higher so that you can continue to lose weight and not plateau after a few weeks because you're not getting enough calories.

Not only do I know this from experience, but every dietician I've talked to has said the same thing.
  • hrynkiw
    hrynkiw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    An initial large loss like tracybarbour's is normal. It's the body's reaction to what is likely a reasonably drastic change in diet.

A loss of 6 pounds per week *over a sustained period* is NOT healthy and should not be expected or aspired to.