Vegan, gluten free looking for fresh ideas

Options
Hi,
I am looking for extra support from members who follow the vegan diet as well as gluten free. I also have to limit my soy intake due to chronic illness, so my dietary restrictions sometimes make me lack imagination. I am looking for fresh ideas if you have them.

Restricted and Bored

Replies

• nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I was vegan for a long time. I went back to eating meat, but recall a few things. What are you doing now, what direction do you want to go in, in terms of flavors? Have you been to Follow Your Heart in the san fernando valley(if local)? Whole Foods has a huge selection of gluten-free stuff. Might have to invent your own recipes and stick to potato starch. If you have to go easy on soy, are you combining grains and legumes? How does this impact your calorie allowance? I was pretty much into lentils and potatoes, but those are my faves.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am not but I was looking at recipes on eden oranics tonight and they have some good sounding recipes that are GF and Vegan. You can search by one or the other and at bottom of each it tells you what dietary restrictions it meets. Good luck!
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Color Me Vegan is an awesome book and gives suggestions on many soy free recipes.
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I can't eat dairy, eggs or wheat. One thing I really love is roasted brussels sprouts. Cut them in half, blanch in boiling water for 1-2 min., toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper, pour out on a cookie sheet (with a little extra olive oil on it, and if you want, a few whole cloves of garlic) and roast in a 400 degree oven for about 20 min. They'll be burned/crispy in spots, but IMO, that makes them taste that much better. If you don't want the crispy spots, just toss them periodically while they're cooking.
  • joannajohnsonrn
    joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to buy packaged foods, if possible.
    Homemade, simple ingredients.
    I love spicy, flavorful, or cool and refreshing.
    The more basic, the better.
    The brussell sprouts sound lovely, BTW :)