Light Hamburger Buns?

Options
2»

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I ordered a lettuce veggie burger at a restaurant a few months back unknowing to me it was literally iceburg lettuce instead of a bun. It was the greatest thing (and I LOVE bread!) and I have ONLY had this with my burgers since!

Using a butcher knife slice off 2 round sections of iceberg (basically I can use 1 iceberg head for 2 buns - 4 pieces and I use the rest as salad or on top of sandwiches for lunch) and ta da! You have yourself a 30-40 cal bun! It is really filling as well since you are eating the same amount of lettuce you would eat in a GIANT salad.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In Iowa, we have Village Hearth lite wheat buns which are 80 calories. It is satisfying to be able to eat a real hamburger with a real bun! I buy the ground beef that is 93% lean for these special occasions and cook them on my George Foreman grill. There is hardly any fat dripping in the tray. Hebrew National hot dogs that are 93% lean are also not too bad when you have "that" craving and Village Hearth also make 80 cal. hot dog buns.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use high fiber tortillas.
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    I agree with the iceburg lettuce option - or go a couple of big mushrooms and chuck everything between them :D - not quite the same but delicious regardless... nice if you grill them a bit first :P
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You can try Thomas's English muffins too. They have a light muffin for 100 calories and a toasted muffin is a great way to serve a burger!

I prefer wraps... I use La Tortilla Factory 100 calorie wraps (huge)!

Also, FlatOut bread is great too.
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In Iowa, we have Village Hearth lite wheat buns which are 80 calories. It is satisfying to be able to eat a real hamburger with a real bun! I buy the ground beef that is 93% lean for these special occasions and cook them on my George Foreman grill. There is hardly any fat dripping in the tray. Hebrew National hot dogs that are 93% lean are also not too bad when you have "that" craving and Village Hearth also make 80 cal. hot dog buns.

I use the village hearth buns too!
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Wonder bread makes hamburger buns for 100 cal each, weight watcher makes them for 90. I like both, but i try to stick to one or go sans bun altogther...there is so much id rather eat than a bun. wrap it in iceburg lettuce is strangley atisfying becasue of the crunch...sounds strange i know but i actuall like it :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's a national brand but Country Kitchen makes an 80 calorie whole wheat hamburger bun. They're pretty small, but hey, it's 80 calories and at least it has the "look" of a hamburger bun and not a flat pita bread.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread but I thought I'd add that Giant Food (also known as Martin's in Virginia) makes very good reduced calorie breads, including both white and wheat hamburger buns. The wheat ones are delicious. My local store is usually out of these and asking them to keep them in stock hasn't helped, but if you live near one of the Giant family of stores you might find them there. The light wheat sandwich bread is good too, although Sara Lee light wheat is just a pinch better.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I ate mine on Flat Out flat bread from Walmart. 90 cals but big enough to cut in half and eat 2 burgers ;)
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I really like these ones! (meant to quote the link for the Healthy Life buns!)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I really like these ones! (meant to quote the link for the Healthy Life buns!)

I like the bread loaves too, but they need to be toasted if using condiments.