protein and calories

Options
Is it bad to always go way over on my protein? And also, when it says that we've earned so many more calories for working out does that mean we should eat that much more? Why would I wanna eat what I burned off :-/

Replies

• schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    try reading some past forums before asking repetitive questions :glasses:
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i dont spend my time going through all the past forums...,,if you dont have any input than u dont need to post THANKS!!
  • gripperdo
    Options
    My trainer just told me today that people who work out a lot--sounds like you--you extra calorie earner(!) should have a higher level of protein than some of these online journals lead us to believe. This website, like all others, is canvassing a wide range of people so that they aren't held liable for any specific people's issues--and it is not tailored 100% just to you or me...so there can be variations in what each individual feels optimal with as far as protein/fat/carb quantities goes. I recommend you keep up the protein--since it helps with curbing hunger and building lean muscle==keeping the metabolism up, et al. Also, remember, you are needing a daily or weekly (if you prefer the bigger) picture calorie deficit in order to lose the pounds. Eat a level that satiates you, but do not pig out and pig out just because the computer says you have extra calories. Just let those deficits store up and do their job--lose you some fat pounds! However, don't under eat ever--that means that your body will go into muscle-eating mode. I was told to never dip below 1300--because I work hard when I hit it...and although it sounds cool to have a deficit in the hundreds at the end of each day--I am not going to compromise my health for it. I want to feel strong and live well--so that when I achieve my goal, I know it has been in a sustainable, life-long manner that my body gradually adjusted to and can maintain.
    Hope all of this helps...I didn't realize I was going to spew all of this out!
    take it as free trainer stuff on my tab--while still fresh in the mind!
    Finally--best wishes for you and yours!
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! That was definately helpful :-D
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Going over on protein won't be a big deal unless you're going way over.

Eating your exercise calories (or some of them at least, I feel the site over-reports calories for some activities, can't wait to get my HRM for an actual number for my own workouts) is how the site works, it's already got a loss of weight according to your reported goals when you signed up.

Try checking the FAQ, some of these questions ARE asked repeatedly and the info is in them for that reason, this is the 10th thread in the last 4 or 5 days that I've noticed asking the question, hence the frustration. There is a search function too, exercise calories will bring up a load of threads, just some features that'll help.
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    *definitely