Coca Cola

Options
Hi Guys, Is a can of Diet Coke really only 1 cal with no sugar. I've been told by my trainer to stay away from ALL soft drinks as they will blow out my daily cals but 1 cal!!!!

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Sodas are bad... no matter if they are diet or not. There is no nutritional value to any carbonated drink... Read this article that just posted on Yahoo... Myths about dieting!!! Don't know how accurate it is... but it's enough to scare me away from even diet sodas!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/15-worst-health-diet-myths
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    diet coke is zero calories. they do not contain sugar. They will not cause weight gain. opinions on artificial sweeteners vary, but diet coke cannot cause weight gain. (unless you use it to justify ordering a triple whopper LOL)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I have several coke zero's every day. diet soda is NOT the devil...
  • jessimacar
    Options
    It is advertised as no calories, no sugar. There are literally that few calories! (Yay!) I don't know why but I've always been told drinking fizzy drinks, even diet, will hinder your ability to lose weight.. I'd love to know why..
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    I thought it was zero cals! haha. I drink them occasionally if I need some caffiene of I'm craving one but even though they're zero cals I find they kinda throw my bloood sugar off or give me a head ache so then I want to eat protein. You can never win...lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    some folks get headaches from aspartame.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think all sodas are bad, I've heard diet is even worse because it tricks your body into thinking it has these sugars when it actually does not and you get the same effect a non diet soda would give...

I gave up soda a little over a year ago and have not looked back, I've never felt better and with cardio and watching what I ate I am 70 pounds down, giving up soda was huge in that.

I've heard its better to drink a regular soda with cane sugar than diet but I would recommend none personally.
  • limonami
    limonami Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is no good at all.
    Sorry to say but aspartame is not a good substitute for sugar.
    It makes you thirsty and makes you feel hungry.
    So what you do is drink more and eat more.
    Your better off cutting it out of your diet all together.
    If your really wanting a soda have the real thing.
    Just limit yourself and don't drink them everyday.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    explain my 50 lbs loss if diet soda is so evil and will prevent weight loss...

I've had 2-5 coke zero's every day for the last 2 years. diet soda does NOT interfere with weight loss, unless you use it to justify other bad choices.

aspartame bothers some people, but for those who aren't sensitive, it is not a problem.
  • sapmart
    sapmart Posts: 16
    Options
    I think diet pop is fine in moderation, people might think it causes weight gain because they order a diet coke and then figure cuz they are drinking something with no calories they can order large french fries since they went with the diet cola, you won't lose weight doing that.
  • lock0134
    Options
    The ideas of what's good for you and not changes yearly. No carb diets, no meat, garlic is good for you, green tea helps lose weight, diet soda is bad, don't eat bread, organic eating, cholesterol is evil, no salt....so on, food fads are the best marketing tool.

You have to research where this information is coming from. I myself drink regular coke and have tried diet many times but can't stand the taste. The only one that tastes remotely the same is diet dr. pepper. I always remind myself if I have a coke that's 120 calories I could have ate something instead that would last longer. But sometimes you just crave a coke. I do agree that diet coke should not be a substitute for water, so make sure your hydrated. Is it bad??? I believe you should base your beliefs on your own experience not by what the news says next. I think it tastes bad, that's my only opinion.

The best idea is to eat home cooked non processed foods, with moderation of processed foods. However, today it's expensive and time consuming to do that for most families.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I know that when I drink it, I wind up craving sugar an hour later. Its crazy!! When I was drinking it daily and eating diet foods all the time, I lost about 10 pounds so it can work. But it sends me into sugar binges like nothing else which just is not worth it for me!
  • biancafitzsimmons
    Options
    Sounds like moderation is the key... even if I am dying to have a coke right now. I've gone from a 1.25ltr bottle per day of the 'real' stuff to only 1 can of coke in the last 12 days! I think I'll use diet coke as a treat/reward system based on all of your comments. Thanks guys!
  • chrish1981
    Options
    I lost the "freshman 15" that I gained in college simply by switching TO diet soda from regular, so I don't think that it interferes with weight loss.

It's not good for you in the sense that it has absolutely NO nutritional value, but as far as I know it won't make you gain weight.