Standing = exercise?

k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I am a school crossing guard as part of my job and I was wondering if it can be considered exercise? I am on my feet for about 1 hour when school is let out, but I don't move that much. I am just guiding people and cars around the school.

(I have a normal workout regiment in a gym and I am not looking to make exercise where there is none, I am just genuinely curious.)

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    If it's a regular thing you do I wouldn't count it as exercise, your body adapts to things you do on a regular repeated basis, why doing 30-60 mins of stationary bike or rowing machine or whatever you choose seems to stop working, your body adapts and finds the easiest way to do what you're asking it to.

Why things like circuit training are effective it keeps changing it up your body can't get used to it because it's being challenged in different ways all the time.

like in nursing, they can be on their feet for much of a 12 hour shift but still see heavy nurses, because the body adjusts. No offense to the nurses out there it's just something I know as mom's a nurse.
  • jennifererivas
    jennifererivas Posts: 1 Member
    I agree, that if it's a regular activity then it shouldn't really be counted into your "excersice" totals...however, here is a web site that can help you calculate the calories burned for a variety of standing activites. Hope this helps with you curiosities. I know you intrigued me. :)
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-by.php?search=standing
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    I agree, that if it's a regular activity then it shouldn't really be counted into your "excersice" totals...however, here is a web site that can help you calculate the calories burned for a variety of standing activites. Hope this helps with you curiosities. I know you intrigued me. :)
    http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-by.php?search=standing

Thank you for this.
This discussion has been closed.