Too many squats?

smelmel
smelmel Posts: 98 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I was just wandering why people say that high reps are bad. I used to do squats with a bar at 3 sets of 15 and my legs were never sore lifting the heaviest weight I could over my head, so the other day I done 5 sets of 50 and I could really feel the burn. Is this bad and why? I was thinking maybe I might need some protein powder or something? Thanks, Mel

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    If you've got that type of burn my go-to solution is a banana first.

I had my first session with a personal trainer yesterday, my assessment, he had me do 150 squats and today my legs are burning burning... just getting up off my chair is a pain because it's repeating the movement. This squat was only done with my own body-weight no bars or anything. It was a pyramid of squats 50-40-30-20-10. I'm really feeling it, it was a pain to shovel the walk today but it needed done. Getting back up the stairs after the shoveling was a battle too.

High reps are done for endurance, lower reps and higher weight... well, different goal
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Doing that many reps is just going to exhaust your muscles. Your muscles need a rest period to heal and regain strength. That's why most people do sets of 10-15 reps, with a minute break between each set. That break is needed to help your muscles recover. If you're doing 50 reps a set, your muscle doesn't have any recovery time, so its going to get tired and stressed, and could be prone to injury.
  • It's not that is bad but what is your goal? Are you an endurance athlete that uses your legs a lot? If so this could be a good idea, but if you are trying to build fat burning muscle then maybe less rep more weight.
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Thanks guys,:smile:
    Well my goal is to tone up, I have lumpy thighs. I am at 64kg now and am not really fussed about losing much more, I do spinning and running and I thought I would start weights, I used to do a pump weight class when I used to go to gym and I was always sore the next day and I did see results but now as I am a stay at home mum and moneys tight I thought I would try at home and the only way I feel the same is with high reps, so I was checking to see if it's o.k.
This discussion has been closed.