Looking slimmer, but no difference in hips?

Options
Has this happened to anyone else? I've been looking and feeling slimmer since I've been losing weight, but for the last 2 or 3 months I've been measuring myself (I do my measurements once a month, but I've left it longer since my last check), my hips are still the same size, despite it being there that the weight looks like it's coming off of! All my other measurements are coming down, except for this one.

When I've asked people they've suggested I shouldn't measure myself, and should just let the looseness of my clothes be the judge, but I'm wondering if I'm just measuring wrong? I measure my hips around my bottom and my stomach like it says here;

http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/071205.htm

Are these the right places to be measuring?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you are not measuring the exact same spot every time. This can throw off measurements a lot. Sometimes it really is hard to get that same spot every time.

Or, it could also be that your hips are just going to be the last place to go. When I lose weight, I tend to lose inches from everywhere except my stomach area...until last. It's the last thing to go. We just can't choose where the weight comes from when we are losing, and perhaps your body has chosen that part to get gone last.
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think you are supposed to measure hips about 3-4 inches below your belly button and waist is the smallest part or about 3- inches above your belly button.

Also with your hips it is mostly your bone structure so once you have lost the weight on your hips they will not get smaller so don't worry about it if your losing everywhere else :)

hope that helps
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yes but for me it's my boobs. I lost 2 inches off my middle and hips in the last month and my bust is still the EXACT SAME SIZE it was SIX months ago... I've probably lost 6 inches from my middle and 4 from my hips since then. :grumble: stoopid boobs.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I think you are supposed to measure hips about 3-4 inches below your belly button and waist is the smallest part or about 3- inches above your belly button.

Also with your hips it is mostly your bone structure so once you have lost the weight on your hips they will not get smaller so don't worry about it if your losing everywhere else :)

hope that helps
    This hips are actually the rump. I lose my upper arms LAST! It is a pain my HIPS! lol Seriously, But I can feel the BUFF muscles developing under there but the fat is just hangin on... for now at least! Argh! You could also be gaining muscle in that area and losing fat which would cause you to look thinner or more fit. It will all work out eventually in time. Best of luck!
  • sapphirelazuli
    Options
    Yes but for me it's my boobs. I lost 2 inches off my middle and hips in the last month and my bust is still the EXACT SAME SIZE it was SIX months ago... I've probably lost 6 inches from my middle and 4 from my hips since then. :grumble: stoopid boobs.

I'll swap you! Haha my boobs have shrunk and I don't want them to!

I took my measurements today too and my hips are the only non-movers. Very strange!
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    yup my hips are the last to go when i lose weight =[ that and my little pouch of belly fat under my belly button.
    and my thighs are pretty naturally skinny but yet they lose more fat a lot faster... who knows why