10 Scientific Ways To Lose Weight

Options
Being an Engineer by Qualification I work on facts and figures not adverts on TV so I have to post the results of programme shown on UK TV last week.

I am living by nearly all these rules now and it really does make me think more and get better results.

Good luck if you use them, Makes for an interesting read if you don't.

All the best, Good luck, Add me if you want to share your results.

Rob xxx

Weight Loss Tip 1 – Smaller Plates!
Reduce plate size from 12 inches to 10 inches and on average you will eat 22% less food. Various studies have shown that the more food you give someone, the more food they eat. So simply by serving less food on smaller plates, you will start to reduce calories.

Weight Loss Tip 2 - Count Calories
Learn how many calories are in different foods. Most people eat too much calories just by eating high calories options. A black coffee only has 10 calories. A single peperoni pizza can contain 1400 calories. Just by choosing low calorie foods can halve your daily calorie intake.

Weight Loss Tip 3 – Slow Metabolism Problem?
Why are some people overweight even though they eat healthy food and are active? Many people say that they have tried every diet and do lots of exercise but yet still gain weight. The blame is the metabolism is too slow.

Often though people do not have a slow metabolism at all, but this is just a myth, and an excuse, for many overweight people. So why are they overweight?

However, after keeping a food diary, it was found in the case study that the subject was actually eating far more food each day than she needed. Healthy food is full of calories – all food is calories. So too much fruit, salads, vegetables, bread, pasta and rice all can cause weight gain.

Too Much Healthy Food Makes You Fat
Calories are calories, regardless of whether they are “unhealthy” or “healthy”.

In the study, a woman recorded in her food diary that she was eating 1100 calories a day, but in reality she was actually eating 3000 calories a day. Also in the food diary she was under reporting by about 50%.

Weight Loss Tip 4 – Avoid Hunger With Protein
The key to losing weight and keeping it off is to avoid hunger. Some foods are good at reducing hunger.

Protein rich foods, like lean meat, eggs and fish, help you to feel full for longer. 10% more protein in your breakfast can reduce hunger, which means you even eat less for lunch.

Tip – Eat eggs for breakfast every day.

When you eat protein your body releases more of the hormone called PYY which helps you to not feel hungry. Protein switches off your urge to eat!

Weight Loss Tip 5 – Eat Soup
Eating soup makes you feel full for longer, even if the ingredients are exactly the same. So rather than eat chicken and vegetables, add water and make a soup. Same calories, but with solid food your stomach starts to shrink quicker and you feel hungry quicker.

As soon as your stomach is empty hormones start to send signals to the brain asking for more food.

Why does soup keep you fuller for longer? If you eat solid food plus water, the water passes quickly leaving just a small amount of food in the stomach. By eating soup you just stay full for longer.

Tip – Have soup for lunch every day.

Weight Loss Tip 6 – Resist Temptation
Studies have shown when people are offered more attractive food they eat more of it. Increased variety leads to more eating. This is an evolutionary advantage. However, studies show that when we have a variety of food to chose from we can eat 30% more food.

Tip – Avoid buffets as they are bad!

Weight Loss Tip 7 – Eat Dairy Calcium
If you eat dairy calcium the fats in the food combine with the other food you eat and the body cannot absorb it, so it passes through you. You literally just excrete more food rather than use its energy.

In a study it was shown that if you eat more dairy calcium you excrete twice as much fat which means you absorb less energy.

Tip – Eat cheese, milk and yogurts with each meal. But do not exceed calories.

Weight Loss Tip 8 – Exercise Every Day
How effective is exercise? And what sort of exercise?

Michael Mosley showed that moderate exercise does indeed help us to lose weight. By walking for 90 minutes you only burn around 19 grams of fat (190 calories, less than 1 sandwich). But, it was shown that after exercise he had burned an additional 49 grams of fat during the night. Why is this?

During exercise we use up our carbohydrate stores. Afterwards our bodies start to break down fat reserves to replenish carbohydrate to provide the body with energy.

Weight Loss Tip 9 – Move!
Simply moving more, walking about, using stairs, not sitting down unless you have to, you burn a lot more energy each day. In the study an overweight woman burned 240 calories more by being more active than she did on a lazy day. This could equal weight loss of around 12kg (around 26 pounds) in one year.

Weight Loss Tip 10 – Do All The Above
Really the best way to lose weight is to make many changes to your lifestle rather than just doing one thing. So use all the tips above. Eat breakfast each day, with proteins. Have soup for lunch. Eat cheese, drink milk and have yogurts. Do some exercise each day – without fail! Be more active, do not just watch television or sit at your desk all day. Count those calories, do not overeat.

This is how you lose weight. It is proven by science and demonstrated by Michael Mosley and the BBC. You can learn more about how the BBC aids weight loss here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/Weight_loss

Read more: http://www.motleyhealth.com/lose-weight/10-scientific-ways-to-lose-weight#ixzz1AoXTYKCA

ENJOY

Replies

• punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks! interesting stuff
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Rob,

I have heard a few of those before but most seem to make sense. I am on the soup for lunch programme now - I like soup and it is easy to have for lunch.

One other one I heard was when you drink the 8 glasses of water a day it should be chilled as you body expends energy to warm it up - not sure if that one is fact or myth !
  • PaulaAvery
    PaulaAvery Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    fantastic tips!
  • keepitoff99
    Options
    Thanks for this post. Some interesting things to contemplate!! I do some of the list but need to make some changes!
  • Cupcakebettiejo
    Cupcakebettiejo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good top 10 to live by, i do some already but will take on a couple more.

Thanks J x
  • tesslovesgucci
    Options
    thanks for tips! very interesting, tess :wink:
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Really nice article!

I also read that having a +1 friend eating with you adds some +20% to your food consumption. I dont know if this is proved, but i know that if you chat with friends and arent really AWARE of what you are eating, you really eat a lot!
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I like all the 'numbers' and facts too, keeps things simple and you know you can't go wrong :)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Protein for breakfast is a lifesaver for me...I'm starved to death if I don't eat a couple of eggs.
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    10 Scientific Ways To Lose Weight

Yeah I watched that programme too , it was a real eye opener, i was very impressed with his findings
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sounds like basic common sense.... but sometimes we get bogged down by the latest fad (which I am the worst culprit for) - thanks for the reminder and the reality check x
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks for the 10 tips!! They all make sense. But I thought we weren't suppose to eat cheese. Glad we can, and I do count everything, I thinnk anyway!
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    Thanks, great article! :bigsmile:
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    One other one I heard was when you drink the 8 glasses of water a day it should be chilled as you body expends energy to warm it up - not sure if that one is fact or myth !

It's a little bit of both. Yes, your body will expend energy to heat up the chilled water. But the actual energy expenditure is relatively insignificant -- approximately 10 calories or so per glass if the water is at at 0C (32F). That's if you're drinking ice water at the freezing point.

Basically, if you like your water chilled then it's good news for you! If you don't, that isn't a good enough reason to switch.
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just watched the programme on BBC iplayer. Great stuff.

The calcium thing was completely new to me- the calcium bind to fat in the small intestine and neither of them can be absorbed by the body. It must be said the guy ate the same amount of fat in both weeks, but some of the fat was in the form of dairy produce on the week he excreted twice as much fat. In other words, you can't add an extra lump of cheddar to your pepperoni pizza and expect it to work a miracle!