Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dining Out

Hi Everybody.

I am going out with a few friends on the weekend for my best friend's birthday and we are going to the local italian. Any ideas or tips as to what I can eat with my calories and still enjoy myself. Currently on 1800 cals a day.

Any help or advice gratefully taken.

Gem xxxx

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    If i were you i would go for the meal, (make sensiable choices, if you want bread have a little) relax enjoy time with friends its about life style change not "DIET" i go by the 80/20 rule if i'm good 80% of the time i'm doing fine..

just remember life is for living!

Enjoy
  • Hi! italian is one of the hardest types of food to track / stay within limits on, that i've found anyway. a homecooked spaghetti meal is way over 500 calories, so a big portion at a resturant with bread and salad will kill your day. honestly, i would make every effort to eat half of the dish and take the other half home (or order a smaller / kids size portion). i'd also exercise so you'd have more calories to play with and eat light during the day. you may be able to pull the resturants nutritional facts and see what the better options are choose from there too. if you don't go out often then enjoy yourself and your friends...you can always burn off what you ate. i was WAY WAY WAY over my calorie limit yesterday (something about snow and eating tons of cookies that seems to go together). I just sucked it up and got back to normal today :)
  • Minestrone soup is good & low in calories. Also, angel hair with marinara sauce. Last time I went to eat out at Italian restaurant I put a bread stick in middle of my plate and only ate to the left of it and took rest home in doggie bag to prevent me from overeating.
  • First of all ENJOY; second start with a nice green salad dressing on the side oil & balsamic vinegar, skip bread...I know its hard but its doable. Main dish any pasta dish that doesn't contain creamy sauce; i.e. Penne Al Arrabiata, Spaghetti Al Olio "not a huge portion" or you can ask if there are a fish, chicken or meat options of course grilled with veggies; you might exceed your limit but what the heck; you're going for fun. But DO NOT over exaggerate your fun. Also i would skip desert maybe a fruit salad will do if you have the craving. Hope i've been of a help.
  • Katy213
    Katy213 Posts: 45
    If you are eating a pasta dish go for a tomato based sauce rather than a creamy one. Lots of Italian pasta sauces are cream based - unfortunately I love them!!

But really I wouldn't worry too much about it, its a one off celebration. Try to get some exercise in earlier in the day so that you can eat some more calories, and enjoy yourself!! X