Breakfast

Options
Hiya Folks :D

Just needed a bit of advice on breakfast...

Could someone perhaps look at my food diary and perhaps suggest anything else or perhaps alternatives ? (No dairy please, other than that , im open to suggestions...milk.yoghurt have always made me rather queasy in the morning)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/CygnusR

Replies

• lolita1606
    lolita1606 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you thought to try oatmeal or grits?
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I second the oatmeal, you can jazz it up with dried fruit, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
    also, cream of wheat with some jam or preserves.

also, are you vegetarian? if not, I would recommend hard boiled eggs. Boil a bunch at the beginning of the week and take one with you in the mornings. Or if you have time to do a little cooking, scrambled eggs with sauteed mushrooms and salsa.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal alot. They have instant oatmeal already flavored and only between 130-160 calories. 90 seconds in the microwave and done. Than I usually have a glass of 1% milk and 1/2 glass of juice. Under 400 calories.

Or I will also toast an english muffin, 1 tbsp of peanut butter & 2 servings of egg beaters (scrambled eggs) and same beverages. It is very filling & satisfying. Have you tried soy instead of regular milk?
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Fruit and almonds. Although the almonds sometimes have a lot of calories they are full of great nutrients and good fats. They're also full of protein so this helps get you through til lunch.
  • zydratethief
    Options
    Thanks all, no, im not a vegetarian, just rarely eat meat..And when i do i find myself being rather picky! For instance, I only eat chicken breast, mince meat (lamb, not beef) and all kinds of fish cept Tuna and Salmon)

And yes, i have tried Soy milk and didnt really like it (im terrible, i know!)

Aren't oats eaten with milk? This talking of jazzing things up seems appealing!
  • cakenedith2
    cakenedith2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone's posts on oatmeal. it's super healthy and will keep you full. i like to add a tablespoon of peanutbutter and some jelly, or add banana...whatever you like!

also, you can do the same with quinoa. just jazz it up with some cinnamon, light brown sugar or raisins... quinoa has protein and fiber!

or make a breakfast plate--whole wheat toast, hardboiled egg, fruit and 1 oz low fat cheese!!

breakfast sandwitch--one egg, canadian bacon and english muffin! better then mcdonalds:)
  • cakenedith2
    Options
    you don't have to add milk to oatmeal! you make with with water and instead of adding milk, just jazz it up:) it's sooooo jazzy:)
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    Sometimes oatmeal is eaten with milk, cream of wheat is too. But either one is fine without it! just make it with a smidge more water than it calls for and you get a nice creamy consistency.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    oh and jazz! jazz jazzy jazz jazz jazzz.
  • zydratethief
    Options

Your gonna have me singing Chicago show tunes in a minutes
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How about an egg white scramble with some spinach and bell pepper thrown in? Or a breakfast cereal (low sugar, high fiber variety) with fresh berries and almond milk? Whole grain toast with peanut butter and a side of fresh fruit?
  • paul_strano
    Options
    Usually I eat every 3 hrs: 6a, 9a, 12p, 3p, 7p

1/4 Ham Steak, 1 Hard Boiled Large Egg, 1 piece WhiteWheat bread w/ spray butter, and a cup of Tropicana 50 OJ =
    230 Cals, 27 carbs, 7g Fat, 18g Protein, 2g Fiber, 13g sugar
    or substitue 1% Milk for more protein

Good protein to keep you going till snack-time...

Snack1: 1 Banana + piece of cheese = 165 Cals
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would defenitely ditch the thick slice bread every morning, or just have 1 peice. A serving of grains is one slice. Is it whole wheat or ezekiel bread?

Oatmeal is great - I use instant plain, add almond milk. On mornings when I'm not rushing I use steel cut oats. You can add whatever you like. My fave is half a banana and a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter. Yum.

Almond milk protein shake - almond milk, ptn. powder, some spinach or some kind of greens and frozen fruit

Homemade egg sandwhich with english muffin, 1 egg, 2 egg whites and 1/2 slice cheese
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I also eat oatmeal or shredded wheat with almond milk. Also if you care to bake you can make a batch of healthy muffins on the weekend. I make them with zucchini, carrots, raisins or craisins, sometimes put in roasted butternut squash, apples, whatever you like. Got the recipe online and them changed it up, took out the white sugar added wheat flour, etc. I prefer the roasted squash in place of the applesauce, much more flavor.

Made into 18 muffins with changes, about 180 calories each.

http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-carrot-raisin-walnut-bread-263811
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Canned pure pumpkin in oatmeal, superb!
  • cakenedith2
    Options
    go ahead!! singing burns calories!!..............and alllllllll that jazz!
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love rice pudding made with Almond milk

3/4 cup leftover cooked rice
    3/4 cup almond milk
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 100 calorie pack of almonds
    1 teaspoon honey
    microwave for a couple minutes
    place in a bowl, top with almonds and drizzle with honey

its about 300 calories if you use the 100 calorie packs of almonds

very filling and delish.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options

Your gonna have me singing Chicago show tunes in a minutes

Razzle dazzle?
  • zydratethief
    Options
    Give 'em the old razzle dazzle
    Razzle Dazzle 'em...

lol..

Thanks again everyone!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just tried something new for a quick, simple breakfast and I love it. Mix together 2 Tbsp of shredded apple, 3 Tbsp of flax seed, 1 Tbsp water, 1 tsp of cinnamon and one egg. Fry it up like a pancake and enjoy. You can spread some real fruit spread on top to make it better. It was delicious, very healthy and simple!