25 Healthy Foods that aren't

Options
http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/25-new-healthy-foods-arent?cm_mmc=Yahoo-_-ETNT-_-Nutritional_Myths-_-25_Healthy_Foods_That_Arent&cm_mmc=Yahoo-_-ETNT-_-15_Nutritional_Myths-_-25_Healthy_Foods_That_Arent

I don't know if anyone shared this before. I was surprised at the amount of calories in healthy sounding fast food. The Angus Deluxe at McDonalds is 750 calories! My 9 year old eats one with medium fries.

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I love Men's Health "Eat This Not That." It's crazy how many healthy sounding items are some of the worst on the menus. I'm always amazed @ how many calories restaurants can cram into salads or how much sodium they can cram in a single menu item.
  • pobs83
    pobs83 Posts: 1
    Options
    Fast food is never healthy - especially places like McDonalds. Try opting for making your own burger and keep down the fat content. Replace chips with boiled potatos and make your own burger with lean fat mince and add salad on the side! It will even taste nicer!!!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have fallen victim to the Applebee's Fajita rollup thing. Even the lunch one has over 700 cals, that was my biggest lesson ever to check MFP before going to lunch!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I mean no disrespect, but your profile says your son has a congenital heart defect and wants only heart healthy food-- eating one of the angus burgers with a medium fries doesn't fit the description. I'm glad you found this list so you can help him learn what's in the food he eats.

I looked through this list. I'm wondering how the author considered ANY of the foods listed to be healthy. But, it is indeed eye-opening.

I hope everyone takes away from this the need to do your research, check your calories and nutrition BEFORE eating any fast food. Most of it is crap.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have fallen victim to the Applebee's Fajita rollup thing. Even the lunch one has over 700 cals, that was my biggest lesson ever to check MFP before going to lunch!!

That Fajita roll up used to be one of my favorite things too..but now that I know it is totally not worth it!
  • sweetiekayk
    Options
    I mean no disrespect, but your profile says your son has a congenital heart defect and wants only heart healthy food-- eating one of the angus burgers with a medium fries doesn't fit the description. I'm glad you found this list so you can help him learn what's in the food he eats.

I looked through this list. I'm wondering how the author considered ANY of the foods listed to be healthy. But, it is indeed eye-opening.

I hope everyone takes away from this the need to do your research, check your calories and nutrition BEFORE eating any fast food. Most of it is crap.

He does prefer heart healthy things but Mcdonalds was his one special request as a special treat. He does know what to eat and what's bad for him. I had no idea the angus deluxe was that bad. It looks sorta healthy with the veggies. My son actually read this stuff with me and said he's never eating any of the food they showed. 99% of the time he eats healthy and, unlike alot of kids his age, he prefers fresh fruits and veggies over cake and candy. I'm very proud of how he eats and I didn't even have to teach him what's healthy. He reads nutrition labels on everything.
    I think that if manufactures need to label food packages, fast food places should also be required to put a label right on the wrapper.....not in a pamphlet that you need to ask for. Even their salads are unhealthy. We decided that we will no longer be eating fast food. My daughter is not happy about that but she can't eat most of it anyway so she will adjust.
  • sweetiekayk
    Options
    I should specify that my son only ate the angus deluxe maybe 3 times a year. Just shocking that he could eat an entire sandwich and medium fries and still be hungry considering the amount of calories in that meal would cover his entire daily intake.