Yeah Tall Girls!

Options
Yeah Tall girls! I have one question, why don't they have a tall section in womens clothing stores. They have average, petite and plus but no tall, What's with that?

Every now and then I wonder what it would be like to be 5'2" and 100 pounds, but not for long. I am at a point in my life where you realize you play the cards you are dealt and enjoy it. I like being tall, even if it means I am taller than all of the girls in the room and a lot of the guys. I wear high heels with my dresses, because I don't mind being a little taller than my husband in them, and I think he secretly digs it. Ha! I don't even mind being asked by short people to hand them things off the top shelf at the grocery store. Whatever I can do to help after all. Now if I can just find some more clothes that fit correctly all will be well.

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yay to us ladies with the legs that go on forever! 5'8 1/2 here and I just bought 2 pairs of jeans from Aeropostale in tall - not sure why you aren't seeing any.

I had to buy a pair of size small yoga pants last week for the gym and everywhere they were too short!! Alot of that has to do with a size small, large is 2+ inches longer but still not fair. The best ones were black with the fold down top (which I love for extra crack-cover during workouts like spinning) and they were $12 not even on sale from Stitches. The 2/$30 pants at Stitches were all too short and the Old Navy ones on sale for $15 now as well + Campus Crew. Walmart's dry-fit ones were on clearance $20 to $9 but super short and Lulu's has so many bad reviews about pilling fabric there was no way I was going to spend $95 despite having a tall option.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    haha, I hear you. I'm 5'10, which is tall but by no means the tallest. At work I'm always reaching to get things off the highest shelves so friends don't have to stand on the counters (I'm taller than the guys, too!) I'm taller than my husband so I never really wear heels, but sometimes I wish I could....
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Ya! (Do I qualify as tall at 5'8"? I think so!) My hubby is tall, so it's kind of cool to feel a little short sometimes.

My big gripe? I have a heard time finding jeans that go to the floor when I'm trying to wear heels with them! Tall girls wanna look good, too! :blushing:
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That is a good point! It is so frustrating! My friends always complain of being short....I'm like " You can hem your pants...a lot of places do it for free even...but you can NOT grow them an inch or two longer. I am graduating as a nurse in May and I am quickly learning scrubs are going to cost me extra to get the right lenth. My mom is tall too and she has the hardest time getting dress pants which she has to wear daily for her job. You may find the cutest thing! and then its not long enough..."no sorry we don't carry those in talls." I am all for a tall section! You are so right! Also, I have had my times of wishing to be short....it seems like all the petite girls get the attention....or at least they did in my highschool. I lost a ton of weight and was in the best shape in HS....which helped but still the little short girls are just "so sweet" as I quote from one of my guy friends. I agree though, I don't mind helping others out and gettings things off high shelves for people. It kinda it the perk of being tall I guess.
    Being tall has always made me feel huge...which is why I want to lose weight. My boyfriend is 6'3. I am 5'9. We only weight about 12 lbs different. And I am not actually overweight (although on the verge) but because I am so tall I just feel big.....I want to be light and feel little in his arms.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    5'10" here. I usually don't have issues with finding pants that are long enough, most stores carry long pants. It's the shirts! None of the sleves are long enough! And after one wash I usually have 3/4 sleves!
    I hate that!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Ya! (Do I qualify as tall at 5'8"? I think so!

Average height for women is 5’5, men 5’8 1/2 so yup, we are tall!
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ya! (Do I qualify as tall at 5'8"? I think so!) My hubby is tall, so it's kind of cool to feel a little short sometimes.

My big gripe? I have a heard time finding jeans that go to the floor when I'm trying to wear heels with them! Tall girls wanna look good, too! :blushing:

I agree with the heels...very frustrating. I am 5'9...and although expensive...I shop at The Buckle and they make jeans that actually fit me. I have been shopping there since high school just because of the jeans. They are pricy but they last FOREVER. I still have pairs from high school.... (which I would wear if they would fit me ;)
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not being able to find pants long enough has always been a problem for me. Kohls does carry some of their jeans in talls. But mostly I have to order everything online. For instance, I have to go to Eddie Bauer find a pair of jeans I like, then go home and order then online in talls. Such a pain!

Thankfully, the trend is for very long sleeves so I can finally find shirts to fit my gorilla arms. My neighbor says I have the biggest wing span she has ever seen. LOL!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I thought 5'8'' was average for women.. :huh: That's about how tall most of the women I know are..

I guess, it's for men then.. Or for younger women..
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and it's not just the legs that are longer, it is the torso too. I hate when the waist on a dress is about 3 inches too high and the sleeves are never long enough. I have to get a larger size just go have them reach my wrist and then the shirt is often too baggy. I live in a rural area and have 3 kids so I don't usually go into high end shops and department stores don't stock the talls much. I think I found a pair of jeans at kohl's that fit good, but they were the only pair in that size and style in tall. I may go online and see if they have more.

I used to just wear flats in highschool and college, and if i did wear a heel it was only an inch or so. But now I wear heels whenever I want. When I usher at church I am taller then all the guys too, I can see over some of their heads, but I just smile, like Yeah, I'm tall, ain't it cool?
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and things are better than they use to be.....but still a problem with jeans and other pants....and my daughter who is 12 is already taller than me and a size 4-5....it took us forever to find her black dress pants.....
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, the trend is for very long sleeves so I can finally find shirts to fit my gorilla arms. My neighbor says I have the biggest wing span she has ever seen. LOL!

You are cracking me up!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    I thought 5'8'' was average for women.. :huh: That's about how tall most of the women I know are..

I guess, it's for men then.. Or for younger women..

It could be in Finland, I just reported the North American stats. You also never see someone who's morbidly obese in Canada but the percentage in the US is huge. My parents, sister and I went to a buffet in Tennessee on vacation about 12 years ago and as we walked in the hostess immediately said "where ya'll from?" We hadn't said a word yet for her to see we didn't have southern accents but then looked around and noticed we were positively anorexic in our surroundings so it was a pretty good guess ;)
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Heather - I do see people in Canada who are morbidly obese, but defintiely nowhere near as many as are in the States. I also feel that in Montreal people are just generally really fit and thin! All my friends comment on it when they come to visit. I think it partly has to do with being in an urban centre where you have to get around more by walking than driving, like in the suburbs.

But it was quite different when I went to the Southern states.... and also a few years ago I went to the beach in Maine, and I really felt like one of the smallest people there.... it was really quite a bizarre feeling.

As far as clothes go, I have a hard time finding bathing suits with long torsos! It's near impossible.
  • JaimeNay
    JaimeNay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree. We need a women's TALL section! I'm 5'11" my sister is 6'0". I can go to a couple of stores and find maybe 1 or 2 styles that are longs, but they are usually out of my size. you'd think the department stores would get a hint and see that the tall clothing is selling out faster.I don't like that a lot of the "cute" clothing isn't offered in tall sizes either. I always have to order slacks, dress coats, and long sleeve shirts online. I love to shop, but find it frustrating to leave empty handed. I guess those doing the ordering for the store, must be short. By the way, one of my best friends is 5'o we look like David and Goliath when we walk around. I feel like I'm out of place when I'm around a lot of short women. My husband is 6'3" so at least he makes me feel normal again.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for pants that are long enough when you wear heels, check out gap.com. OMG- I just got a pair for Christmas and they are my new favorite jeans. I'm 5'10" and love love love wearing high heels. I just bought a pair of 4" heels and wore them with my new jeans- the jeans hit the ground. I've been waiting my whole life to find a pair like these- I totally recommend them!!! Also, Old Navy yoga pants come in tall and they're on sale for $12 right now.

Banana Republic carries really long pants too. Express used to but the quality has diminished. Good luck finding those jeans.

PS- sign up for gap's email list- I get 20-40% off coupons all the time!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Also, Old Navy yoga pants come in tall and they're on sale for $12 right now.

Ah didn't see the tall ones - will have to re-visit. So dumb that they are on sale $15 in Canada and $12 in the US currently (I've seen both commercials depending on which station I'm watching) Canadian dollar is worth MORE last time I checked.

Ah well, it’s that dam 10x the population (300+ mill vs 32 mil) thing I guess, market power. LOL! Jokes :)
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Heather - I do see people in Canada who are morbidly obese, but defintiely nowhere near as many as are in the States. I also feel that in Montreal people are just generally really fit and thin! All my friends comment on it when they come to visit. I think it partly has to do with being in an urban centre where you have to get around more by walking than driving, like in the suburbs.

But it was quite different when I went to the Southern states.... and also a few years ago I went to the beach in Maine, and I really felt like one of the smallest people there.... it was really quite a bizarre feeling.

As far as clothes go, I have a hard time finding bathing suits with long torsos! It's near impossible.

I live in the suburbs outside of Toronto and have never seen a morbidly obese person in my life in my home town. The occasional size 12/14 plus sized mom but otherwise…. I have only see the rare person while at work in Toronto who would be considered obese. Often on the subway and everyone runs away from them likes it’s a contagious disease, shows you how rare it is, people forget how to act humanely.

If you ever want to feel super skinny (if you aren't already) go on a cruise. It’s like going to a zoo! *In that it is visually shocking what people have done to themselves, not that they are animals, well other than their appetite that is! If you are under 200 lbs on a cruise you are hot by default. This is based on several Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises departing from the US. I'm sure this is not the case for European travelers. It would be a waste of money to do that and not be fit enough to go explore the culture and sites which involves A LOT of hilly walking.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It could be in Finland, I just reported the North American stats. You also never see someone who's morbidly obese in Canada but the percentage in the US is huge. My parents, sister and I went to a buffet in Tennessee on vacation about 12 years ago and as we walked in the hostess immediately said "where ya'll from?" We hadn't said a word yet for her to see we didn't have southern accents but then looked around and noticed we were positively anorexic in our surroundings so it was a pretty good guess ;)

I just checked this and it seems that the stats are pretty much the same between finns and white americans. About 5'11'' for men and 5'5'' for women. The age range being about 20 - 39.
    5'8'' would then be the average for all those people. LoL

Maybe all the girls are just fooling me with heels, or something.. :laugh:
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    6" here! And it does suck finding jeans. Maurices and Vanity have jeans. I love Vanity because they are by waist and length though I still find it hard sometimes because i have curves no matter what weight I'm at and most of the jeans aren't for women with curves.

As for shirts or dresses that's a hard one. I always see a cute dress and then I put it on and it's like if I move at all I feel like my butt it sticking out. lol

Or what about finding a one piece swim suit that fits? OMG! I can never find one that I don't strech the heck out of, I'm always to long. And I can't buy a two piece (yet).

Ah yes the joys of being tall.

I can say that at least they have started to have more tall jeans now and shoes. I used to have such problems finding shoes and now it's getting easier to find cute shoes with my big 'ol feet. :)