HG Cookbook

Options
ChubbyBunny
ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
Anyone own it? Is it good? I am really picky about cookbooks and I don't think HG has many pictures (one of those picky factors I look for) but if it's an excellent resource with yummy recipes that are healthy I think it would make a great addition to my collection.

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Anyone own it? Is it good? I am really picky about cookbooks and I don't think HG has many pictures (one of those picky factors I look for) but if it's an excellent resource with yummy recipes that are healthy I think it would make a great addition to my collection.
  • readytomove
    readytomove Posts: 50
    Options
    Omigosh, I love it! So far, I haven't found a recipe that I was thinking, I HATE to diet, but thinking, wow, this is REALLY good! Last night I made the turkey taco meatloaf, and it was awesome!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Yay! Someone responded!

I was checking out reviews on a site to buy it and was worried cause someone said they were disappointing. Looking at the page for the pictures a lot of the stuff looks really good (I am a total visual cooker).
  • readytomove
    readytomove Posts: 50
    Options
    If you want other pictures, almost all of the recipes are on their web site hungry-girl.com
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I agree!
    It is a great cookbook. You should definitely buy it.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I bought it too. It's great because the recipes are easy and yummy. I haven't tried that many yet, but I read the entire book and put stars by a lot of them I want to try soon.:flowerforyou:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I bought it, and love it I got mine off of amazon
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Alright, I think I'll pick it up this weekend. Do you know if it has healthier substitutions for French Fries? I am trying to broaden my families horizons a bit.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I believe there's a butternut squash fries recipe.
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    I bought it two days ago, and I was very disappointed with the rave reviews she gives the Tofu Shirataki noodles ( i think they are gross). I made the "Girlfredo" tonight and literally spit it out. It was nasty. I was thinking she must get a little sumthin sumthin for promoting that product. (Her HG pic is on the product). She raves about how much it's like pasta, and maybe for other people it's ok, but definitely NOT for me.

I haven't tried any other recipes, and I am looking forward to trying them. I bought my book at Sam's club for under 10 bucks, so I figure not much to lose. I am sure I will like the other recipes. Some of them look delish.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Oh....well I like my food to be edible.
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I haven't bought the book but it does interest me. I found most of the recipes online which is why I'm waiting to buy it. I really enjoy its approach to food though. Really creative, healthy, tasty alternatives that let you forget you're dieting.
  • 2Shoes
    Options
    Maybe we should start a thread of the things we have tried out of the book and what we thought of it.
  • MsLadybug
    MsLadybug Posts: 55
    Options
    I don't know about the HG stuff. I've looked at the website and all the recipies look so...plastic?

It just seems like nothing is made with real food. Everything is fat free and faux. Maybe it's living in Australia for five years which has less of everything having a fat free, low carb option. I just have the idea that through dieting I should learn to eat healthier real food in moderation. For example, reduced fat cheese, yes - fat free cheese, no.

Maybe it's just me. lol
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I've tried many of HG's recipes and love them. If I don't like or can't find a certain ingredient that is listed in a recipe, I substitute it. You don't have to follow the recipe to a T. There's no rule(s) against changing them.

2Shoes, I think your idea of posting recipes that have been made from HG's book or site is a great idea.

• ChubbyBunny
    Options
    In my search I found a really cool cook book that basically makes favorite fast food options, just healthier!

Fast Food Fix: 75+ Amazing Recipe Makeovers of Your Fast Food Restaurant Favorites
    by Devin Alexander

I know it's not "totally diet" but it would be a fun addition to a cookbook library, since sometimes those are the foods we crave.
  • 2Shoes
    Options
    In my search I found a really cool cook book that basically makes favorite fast food options, just healthier!

Fast Food Fix: 75+ Amazing Recipe Makeovers of Your Fast Food Restaurant Favorites
    by Devin Alexander

I know it's not "totally diet" but it would be a fun addition to a cookbook library, since sometimes those are the foods we crave.

LOL, I was just searching on an Amazon for a good book and Devin Alexanders "The Most Decadent Diet Ever" peaked my interest. She was the writer for the Biggest Loser Diet Book too. I think I might try that one out.
  • 2Shoes
    Options
    I've tried many of HG's recipes and love them. If I don't like or can't find a certain ingredient that is listed in a recipe, I substitute it. You don't have to follow the recipe to a T. There's no rule(s) against changing them.

2Shoes, I think your idea of posting recipes that have been made from HG's book or site is a great idea.

Thanks! I am definitely interested in what everyone has to say. I agree with you on the substitutions. I had never heard of the Tofu noodles before that book, so I was willing to give 'em a try, but boy I wish I hadn't :laugh:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options

by Devin Alexander

LOL, I was just searching on an Amazon for a good book and Devin Alexanders "The Most Decadent Diet Ever" peaked my interest. She was the writer for the Biggest Loser Diet Book too. I think I might try that one out.
    I have her on my myspace friends list but have yet to try any of her recipes.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options