Reading "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth

Options
Has anyone else read this book, or any others by her? She is an amazing writer and simply reminds us that we are all beautiful, useful, deserving, etc, and until we learn to appreciate who we are, not just how much we weigh, we will never overcome what we hate most--our fat (not ourselves). I haven't even finished the book yet but it reminds me to love me for who I am, not hate myself for how how much weight I want to lose.

So accept yourselves as you are--you are beautiful! :)

Replies

• sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    I bought this book just before christmas and I have read it twice already! It has really opened my eyes to why I am eating. I have ordered another of her books so just waiting for that to arrive.

I hope you have sucess following her eating guidelines. I have saved these onto my ipod so I can refer to them whenever I need to.

Remember, you are beautiful!

Simone
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I read this book in January of 2010 and it changed my life. I shove this book down everyone's throat.

Accepting myself 100% at my heaviest (and at every step in my journey) made it such an enjoyable journey. I'm near goal and I do not love myself any more or any less than I did when I started this journey :)

Charmagne
  • Christie_78
    Christie_78 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I heard the book was awesome. I will go out and get it today!
  • blankggal
    blankggal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So glad you mentioned this book. I need the motivation and hopefully this book will jump start me. I wish you well.:smile:
  • angelmaner
    Options
    Thank you! I will be purchasing this book! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • chrissypro
    Options
    I want to read it when your done....pass it on.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    Yes. I read this book last summer and immediately signed up for her weekend conference in Seattle last October. She is amazing and speaks to the heart of the matter when it comes to weight. When you read truth like that, it grips you, it comes across as a big Yes.

Love the whole self. There's nothing wrong with you. It's good stuff. Peace.
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You saw her? Wow--I'd love to see her sometime! Glad you are here!

Sharon
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    Yes, saw Geneen. She is terribly funny in person. She had us rolling in the aisles. One really neat exercise she had us do, was to take a cup with a chip, a piece of chocolate and something else I can't remember. She then walked us through picking up the chip, observing it, sniffing it, just touching it with the tongue and finally taking a nibble. It was so enlightening as to how those of us who say we "love food" don't spend much time paying any attention to it!

She mostly has retreats on the West coast, but if she's in your area, she's worth the experience. I'd go again if I could.
  • sim247
    Options
    Has anyone read 'when you eat at the refrigerator, pull up a chair'? I ordered it a few days ago and I can't wait to start reading it.
  • gr8grl68
    Options
    No, I haven't. Is it by Geneen Roth as well? Let me know how it is! :)
  • gr8grl68
    Options
    I read this book in January of 2010 and it changed my life. I shove this book down everyone's throat.

Accepting myself 100% at my heaviest (and at every step in my journey) made it such an enjoyable journey. I'm near goal and I do not love myself any more or any less than I did when I started this journey :)

Charmagne

Now that's inspiring to hear! Congrats on losing the weight--here's to being healthy! :)
  • sim247
    Options
    No, I haven't. Is it by Geneen Roth as well? Let me know how it is! :)

Ok, I will post back on here when I have read it. It has started off well though!
  • sim247
    Options
    I have just finished reading 'when you eat at the refrigerator, pull up a chair' and I thought it was really good.

Personally, I preferred 'women, food and god' because it was the kind of book I could really get my teeth into it whereas this one was broken down into 50 short chapters. Still very good and I would definitely recommend to anyone who emotionally eats like me.

A very thought provoking book and lots of useful ways to tackle eating problems and to love yourself!
  • gr8grl68
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Is this book by Geneen? Any other books you've read in the past you'd receommend?
  • sim247
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Is this book by Geneen? Any other books you've read in the past you'd receommend?

Yes sorry, it is by Geneen. These are the only books I have read by her but I would highly recommend them.

Makes me want to throw out all my diet books!

Simone
  • gr8grl68
    Options

Yes sorry, it is by Geneen. These are the only books I have read by her but I would highly recommend them.

Makes me want to throw out all my diet books!

Simone

Me too! I have a few laying around the house--and to be green . . .I'll recycle them! :) No more DIETS for me!