HRM recommendation?

muth3rluvx2
muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't need anything fancy or crazy expensive - just as accurate as possible with a calorie counter. So, I'm looking for the most functional & practical piece of equipment (e.g. difference between timex and rolex... lol). The accuracy is pretty important to me.

Suggestions?

Replies

• debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    I don't have any information for you, but wanted to *bump* so I can follow also. Thanks for posting!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    I've been very happy with my two Polar HRM's. I started with the F4 which was perfect when I was working out at home or away from the gym. I upgraded to the F6 when I began working out in a gym regularly because the F4 can receive interference from the gym machines.

Honestly both are easy to use, I find them to be accurate and were decent on the wallet. I had the F4 for 4 years & have had the F6 for 2 now.
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    I'm glad that you posted this because I want to get one too. I was watching Biggest Loser last night and they were talking about how many calories they burned according to their HRM.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    I did plenty of research before purchasing my Polar FT60 back in April.

You can read my review of that unit here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/92767-polar-ft60-hrm-review

Most any HRM will do a fine job of telling you what your heart rate is. It's their algorithm for estimating calories that makes the difference. The Polar units seem to be more praised for their accuracy in this regard than models by other manufacturers. Also their build quality is quite high. You also have the ability to buy replacement straps and transmitters should you need to. Additionally, many of the newer Polar units have user-replaceable batteries.

If cost is a concern, I would go with either a lower-end Polar, or a mid-range Timex. The Timex models also get generally positive reviews and have a good number of features for the price.

Hope that helps!
  • muth3rluvx2
    Thanks all!

I did a little research myself previously, but that didn't tell me what consumers thought and Polars do seem to be the most popular brand. From the research I've done, I don't think they're making the 4s anymore and 6s have been upgraded to 7s - if memory serves. Not that I know what the differences are.... but it sounds like there's a consensus on brand and grade.

Thanks!!!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    You're probably right that they aren't making those anymore. I have been eying the FT4 a bit as I'd love to have one at home and one for the gym. My gym is at work and I've left it one place or the other more times than I can count.

FWIW, I love the site heartratemonitorsusa.com for ordering. Great customer service & good prices too.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I have the Polar RS300x and LOVE it! :bigsmile: If you're interested, or want more info. let me know.
  • muth3rluvx2
    I ordered a Polar FT4 (still had some in stock) - on sale for $90 from Bodytronics. I looked at Amazon & Ebay first and they all had the $150-$400 HRM's. Yeah... no.

I can't wait to see how much I *really* burn during Zumba! lol
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    I just called my local D*ck's Sporting Goods. They have the Polar FT4 for $89.95. Gonna go get it today!
This discussion has been closed.