Too much protein ok???

Options
Ok, so I'm on day 4 and have noticed that every day I go over my protein, is this ok? This morning when I weighed myself I have lost 5 lbs already but I just wanted to know if I continue to go over my protein will that be ok???

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It depends on what diet you're on. Some are very high in protein. You can read up on it on Google ( pros and cons)

As for going over a little bit, I don't think it's a big deal.

You can also change the percentages of carbs/fat/protein on your personal settings.

My husband is pre-diebetic and needs to have protein with every meal....so his is set higher.

Hope this helps a little....I am not an expert by any means :-)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have heard somewhere that, going over on your protein is okay, I have also heard a rumor that you can eat up to as much as your target weight in protein and still be okay, so if you weigh 150 and wanna weigh 120 then you can eat as much as 120g and still be okay...

.. I just heard this second hand, not from a notable source tho.

Personally I would say that if you are losing weight then you are doing all the right things! keep it up!! :)
  • lachamblee
    Options
    I've been thinking of trying to get more protein myself because of something I read that said you should eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of your goal weight. So, if your goal weight is 130, you would need 130 g of protein. I don't know, but it makes me want to try to get more.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    well i just remembered that this site i posted yesterday had some info on that- their number 1 talks about protein= check it out!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/15-worst-health-diet-myths
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I have heard somewhere that, going over on your protein is okay, I have also heard a rumor that you can eat up to as much as your target weight in protein and still be okay, so if you weigh 150 and wanna weigh 120 then you can eat as much as 120g and still be okay...

.. I just heard this second hand, not from a notable source tho.

Personally I would say that if you are losing weight then you are doing all the right things! keep it up!! :)

I have also heard this. From doctors. I weigh 132 and wanna stay that way. So I should eat 132 g of protein. :)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I changed my protein settings to get closer to the goal 130 g - boy is it hard, esp without going over in fat. I am going to work on increasing my protein though.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    I know everyone has heard of atkins diet... the dreaded meat diet! lol I used to do a modification of that diet with my mother, where as long as your protein is over your carb count then you are okay! you just dont' want to be eating HIGH amounts of protein and HIGH amounts of Carbs!

Protein helps burn calories, so its good to have a high protein diet!
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the CARB and PROTEIN grams are just recommendations, as long as your total intake is within your food budget yoiu should be fine. Also if the weight is going down you are on the right track.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Keep in mind that the CARB and PROTEIN grams are just recommendations, as long as your total intake is within your food budget yoiu should be fine. Also if the weight is going down you are on the right track.

AMEN!
  • tloquinn
    Options
    my protein count is always higher as well but i'm losing weight and feeling energized so wooo hooo! lol
  • ILoveFlorida
    Options
    Response to: frozenfatty
    I am not any any really specific diet I just put in what I would want to lose, I am just going by what the MFP suggested that I eat, and so far so good. I didn't know you can change the amounts, I will have to look into it. Thanks
  • ILoveFlorida
    Options
    Thank you to all who responded, I thought you had to follow what the food diary said. Thank you also for the person who recommended that I check out that website, I will.
  • ILoveFlorida
    Options
    I've been thinking of trying to get more protein myself because of something I read that said you should eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of your goal weight. So, if your goal weight is 130, you would need 130 g of protein. I don't know, but it makes me want to try to get more.
  • ILoveFlorida
    Options
    Sorry I am not to familiar with using the website yet and I was trying to post to each comment individually but that didn't work