Kale?

Options
just went food shopping and opted for some kale.. only problem is I have no clue what to do with it!! Any ideas? help!:happy:

Replies

• anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Kale is one of my favourites! And it is so healthy for you.
    Some people find the stem that runs down the center to be tough- you can cut it out of the leaf if you're one of them.
    Also since it's a really tough cruciferous veg, some people have issues with eating it raw. Up to you!

Wash it, roughly chop the leaves, and steam for a minute. Dress with lemon, olive oil and salt. It's nice to have on top of rice or as a side dish.

OR

Roughly chop a handful of the leaves. Spoon out 1/2 an avocado and mash into the leaves. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, and a handful of cherry tomatoes (or cheese if that' show you swing).

You can also sautee kale with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and hot sauce. Add in some tofu or brussels sprouts or sauerkraut.

Use kale in place of spinach in recipes like quiches, omelettes, and sandwiches.

Good luck!
  • gembanana
    gembanana Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i LOVE kale and it's awesome for you!

Usually i steam it - i have a bamboo steamer and just wash the leaves, trim into strips and put it in there until it's soft. When it's freshly steamed it doesn't really need anything added. It's just my boyfriend and I so we have some for dinner, and I have enough left over for two lunches.

For lunch I just add one of the following from each group (of course, going easy on the fats!)
    - Poached apple or pear slices, dried cranberries or raisins
    - sliced almonds, walnuts, cashews
    - goat cheese (plain, peppered, fig and cranberry are all good)blue cheese.
    - swig of balsamic or fruit vinegar, light salad dressing
    at work i heat it up for thirty seconds and add some pepper. so good, filling and good for you- lots of protein, a dose of healthy fats and antioxidants

If you have a craving for salty/savory, this is the best:

Line a cookie tray with tin foil and put the oven to BROIL

Rinse your kale and slice into strips or pieces, whatever you prefer.
    Lightly spray your tin foil with PAM (I use olive oil pam as it's better for your heart!)
    Place your kale on the tray, not on top of each other. Spray lightly with PAM and season with some sea salt and pepper (if you like)
    Pop in the oven for a few minutes - watch the make sure i doesn't burn.
    Once it's a little krispy, remove from the oven, flip, do a little spray of pam and pop back in the oven. watch it - you'll know.
    Take out and you have a savory, delicious snack :)