I really hope I know what I'm getting into

Options
So I got started on MFP because my wife is determined to lose weight and I have decided to support her the best way I could think of and start working to drop a few pounds too. I recently got an Android phone and when I was researching some calorie counting Apps I stumbled across the MFP app (which by the way is so amazing I am thinking about getting my wife an Android phone just so she can use the app too) which lead me to the site which has definitely opened my eyes to reality.

So far the most drastic thing I have noticed since starting to actually track what I eat is that I am starting to get a very vivid image of just how unhealthy I used to be eating. I mean it's astonishing to me that I didn't weigh like 300lbs or more with the way I was eating along with an almost complete lack of any kind of exercise. Chips, Cookies, Sodas, lots and lots of sodas, candy... Just so many bad things. Still it's not so much that those things are inherently bad but I just pretty much described what I would eat every day on top of my meals of which I probably consumed enough for 2 or 3 people easily at any given sitting.

I mean as an extreme example it was probably not even 2 or 3 weeks ago I sat down and ate an entire bag of potato chips and an entire tub of sour cream dip... I did the math the other night and that alone was about 4500 calories... I mean wow. But that is exactly how I used to eat.

So No More!... well.. SIGNIFICANTLY LESS!

I'll be honest, I know absolutely nothing about dieting so for now I am just trying hard to meet my calorie goals every day. I am going to allow myself to pretty much eat whatever I like for now just with the knowledge that I am going to pay for it later when I am hungry and not allowed to eat anymore for the day. Still, just about a week in and I have not given in to too much temptation yet. The subconscious reminder in the back of my head is always there telling me that it's just not worth it. So especially while I am adjusting to this new style of eating and am constantly hungry I'll make the choice to eat more of some healthy food rather than a little bit of unhealthy food every time. So far I have found Chips and Salsa is a great snack as long as it is done in moderation and my new favorite is Quaker Chewy Choclate Swirl Granola bars. They are only 90 calories each and they taste so good I always feel like I am getting away with something when I have one... or two.

Well Wish me luck on my journey, all I know for sure right now is that I'm never going to be able to look at food the same way again... and I think I'm ok with that.

Replies

• elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and good luck! Sounds like you're off to a great start!

I did the same as you--first started counting calories (and felt disgusted with how much I was eating before), then started eating healthier gradually. One step at a time is the right way to do it, I think!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you and your wife :)
    You'll love it here. My advice to you is: let yourself enjoy all of the foods you love to eat ... just eat them all in moderation.
    I still eat pizza, hamburgers, french fries, chips etc. I just eat it all with portion control & in moderation and it fits into my daily intake.
    I have never felt deprived doing this and i've lost 35lbs so far.
  • Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    each journey begins with a single step ... I wish you and your wife all the best... sounds like you are headed in the right direction!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I too was surprised at how many calories I actually ate during a day when I first started. I fell off track at the end of September, but I've been back for 10 days. I've lost 3.8 pounds in that time.

I know about the hunger. During the day, when I'm teaching, I'm okay. My problem is when I get home after work. I've found that if I have an orange and a cup of green tea with a tablespoon of honey, I'm able to stay on track until dinner around 6:30. And that's a snack that's around 100 calories.

I'm allowed 1,200 calories a day, more when I exercise, but I've managed to stay under that the past few days. I've found my motivator is what is keeping me going. I have a few key phrases that I recite to myself when I'm feeling tempted.

I think it's great that you're supporting your wife. I know she'll need it!
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    lol...welcome and wish you and your wife success...it was a shocker for me too the first day I logged in just my breakfast alone...it was like a bucket of cold water...i love this app and im glad i found it....i have learned soooo much in the past 2 wks that ive been using it and have changed so much of my eating habits as well...

Good Luck..!
  • Loki182
    Loki182 Posts: 31
    Options
    Wow, Thank you for all the words of encouragement guys! I heard that this site was full of supportive people but I was still not prepared for such a warm welcome.

Oh and for what it's worth I am going to try and leave my diary wide open. I update it every single meal and I like to think that I have to be accountiable to more than just myself for what I eat.