Fettucine con panna e salmone / Fettucine with cream and sal

Fitss
Fitss Posts: 8 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Hi. This is my first forum post here - hello to everyone! :) I need some help in my quest to lose 8kg.

My boyfriend is Italian and he makes the most wonderful food including that mentioned in the Subject above. It's delicious! HOWEVER, soooo much cream. Can anybody please recommend something we can use as an alternative? He is a bit of a purist when it comes to his Italian cooking but I will try to persuade him to use something else... he could lose a bit too!! ha ha

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Susan :happy:

Replies

• hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Ooo! a boyfriend that cooks, lucky you! I've read that you can use fat free evaporated milk as a substitute for cream, but I think you'd also want some real cream in there for flavor; or perhaps use whole milk or half and half instead of cream?
    To make the dish more healthy, you could also add some steamed veggies and use whole grain pasta. Best of luck to you!
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Try using greek yogurt, its very thick and creamy and will give you the same mouth-feel, would love if you'd post the recipe!
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    I know the feeling! I am married to an Italian....I gained 20 pounds just while we were dating because everything has to be eaten with pasta!! I am slowly introducing him to other grains, and although it is a long slow battle, I am winning for the most part! What we have done is limit his amazing Italian dishes to once every couple of weeks as a treat. That way he can make them with as much cream as he wants and I can still lose weight.

The rest of the time I make healthier versions of his favories. We use whole wheat pasta, meat in the bolognese sauce is only in his portion (I pull mine out before adding the meat), we add sauces at the table instead of to the entire meal so that I can make mine with just a little sauce, and I usually eat a huge salad on the side and just a little pasta. We usually only do pasta once or twice a week in our home because otherwise I would never be able to lose weight! I have introduced him to quinoa and brown rice, although he whines about the rice, so he will often eat bread while I eat rice!

The cream based sauces are really hard! You can try googling to find some healthy versions of them, but if he is like my hubby at all, we have found it better to just not even bother trying. He would rather not do the cream sauces than try to do them healthy!
  • Fitss
    Fitss Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

mmnichol - I have asked for the recipe but apparently it's "secret"... it does include vodka and caviar though, I know that much!

kennedar - I have gained 8kg since being with this man... it was pasta and other delicious stuff everyday for almost a year. Due to having been operated on my spine, I have to keep my weight at 60kg... it's too bl**dy difficult though living with an Italian!! And like you and your's, "He would rather not do the cream sauces than try to do them healthy!"

hozik - it's difficult to find evaporated milk here in Spain (don't live in England) but I'm going to get some Greek yoghurt anyway and try pursuasion again... wish me luck!!

OK, thanks again everyone :) xxx

3372931.png Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
This discussion has been closed.