Chow down!

Options
Hey everyone -

I have the problem where I sit down for a meal, and start "Wolfing" down my food. I can finish my meals like three times quicker than my girlfriend. I want to try and slow down a little, and finding it to be a challenge. beyond the water between bites, and chewing 20x per bite....

does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• monication09
    Options
    Well for starters,don´t eat alone, find someone talk so you have something else to think about. Chew more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drink more water. I try to make my husband talk tome while we are eating,that way I slow him down......... hope it helps!
  • AScheif
    AScheif Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is the exact same way!! Rather than chewing more which can be painful to try and do, try taking smaller mouthfuls to begin with., cut your food into smaller pieces. Also try setting down your fork/spoon in between every bite. Talking also definitely helps (not with your mouth full though :smile: ) Another idea is to eat your meal in "courses" ie. have your salad first then go get the rest of your meal.

If none of those work don't feel bad, I think all guys are like that :happy:
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    you can try using a smaller fork/spoon and putting down your fork after every bite.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My guy does the same. He is ex military and picked up that habit there. His mom told me that he wasn't like that when he was growing up. A little trick I have been using... I challenge him to identify the spices and sauces I used to make the meal. It makes him slow down enough to think about what is in the food, and what flavors he is experiencing. Then he can make suggestions on how to tweek the spices and stuff to make the meal better next time. No salt allowed.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    In preparation for my trip to Army basic, I've actually practicied eating more quickly. I can take down a loaded subway sub in 3 minutes.

The way I deal with eating fast is planning my meals ahead of time. It's all about portion control. I put my planned meal on my plate, eat as fast as I please, then I'm done. I'm not satisfied at that time, but am soon after.