Treadmill

Options
I'm interesting in purchasing a treadmill for running. I like running outside, but I need something for when it's too dark out in the morning or when I (finally) get home from work. I'm overwhelmed with all of the options. I'm getting mixed information about the size motor I need to be able to run. Some sites say I need 2.5-3.0HP. I'd prefer not to have to spend over $1,000. Does anyone have a treadmill that they use for running? If yes, can you please tell me what kind, what the HP is, and how much you paid for it? I'd appreciate any advice--thanks!!

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I run on a NordicTrack Power Tread 5.5 that I picked up at a garage sale for $35 two years ago. It's 2.5 HP and has been more than sufficient for my husband (who started using it around 200lbs) and I. There are some really great options out there, but the ones that I find the most beneficial are basics -- namely, the 'incline' button.

Because I bought mine used, the stock heart rate transmitter was missing, but I have purchased a heart rate monitor to use on it for more accurate calorie burn information.

If you're not looking specifically for any high-tech options, I would say look for a used one. But I'm a cheapskate!!
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I have a Sole F80, 3.0 HP. My husband and I got it back in November for around $1300. (A little over what you want to pay.) I don't run on it much, I prefer to run outside, where as my husband prefers to run on the treadmill. He runs between 8-9.5 mph for an hour or so at a time and hasn't had any problems with it.