OD on protein

Options
this may be something that has been discussed in previous threads, but i was noticing that i go over my alotted protein intake pretty much every day. i try not to eat too much but my meals usually consist of a couple chicken breasts or a tuna sandwhich or something like that. i pretty much eat some type of meat in every meal. i can't help it. im a carnivor. i guess technically i'm an omnivor but i tend lean more to the carnivorous side. ANYWAYS, is that a big deal? what happens when you get too much?

Replies

• paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    this may be something that has been discussed in previous threads, but i was noticing that i go over my alotted protein intake pretty much every day. i try not to eat too much but my meals usually consist of a couple chicken breasts or a tuna sandwhich or something like that. i pretty much eat some type of meat in every meal. i can't help it. im a carnivor. i guess technically i'm an omnivor but i tend lean more to the carnivorous side. ANYWAYS, is that a big deal? what happens when you get too much?
  • azl6rtr
    azl6rtr Posts: 2
    Options
    Me too - I always seem to be over in Protein - would like to see others replies
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The guidelines on here are just guidelines, and your percentages depend on what sort of eating plan you are following. Some (like South Beach) encourage you to eat more protein, and are still healthy ways of eating. The main factor in weight loss is calories, in my opinion, though some foods (like simple carbs, biscuits, sugars etc) can play havoc with your blood sugar and cause cravings.

Some days I'm over on my protein, other days I'm over on my carbs. I'm not too worried about it, as long as I've eaten healthy food and stayed within my calorie limit.
  • bwfc123
    bwfc123 Posts: 5
    Options
    Going over the site's stated limit of protein is not such a bad thing, so long as you stay within your calorie total for the day. High protein diets are a sure way to loose weight in a dramatic fashion. "Steaks and chicken every day" is a great hook, but it's not easy to stay with if for the long term. I became very bored with it when I was on the Protein Power Plan a few years ago, after the euphoria of loosing 25 lbs wore off.

The key is to balance out the categories as best you can. Going over in protein is perfectly fine so long as you're not just mainly eating protein sources. The results are more gradual, but they are also easier to maintain over the long run
  • bwfc123
    bwfc123 Posts: 5
    Options
    To answer Paul's other question about "What happens if you eat too much protein", take a look at the following link (if the site allows it) or google "ketosis".

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips011.html
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i was always going over in protein also until i changed my goals to the updated doctor recommended of 20% fat 40% carbs 40% protein, i then found that i was eating too many carbs and not enough protein. to be able to reach a more attainable goal i changed my %'s to 25% 40% 35% that's working better for me now and i will change it gradually to the recommended when it's not quite as hard
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    WAIT.

going "over" on protein isn't a big deal.

going way under on carbs is.

ketosis is going to be a problem if you're not getting enough carbs, which i'm sure isn't a problem for you. ketogenic diets are actually recommended for *some* people under a doc's orders.

now, eating lots and lots of red meat is probably a big deal. eating lots of chicken and fish isn't.

protein is good for you, especially if you're exercising (and judging from your pics, you are).

:)

i just started eating chicken (total veg before) and i love my protein!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I believe you are ok as long as protein is not more than about 40% of your diet. Your body cannot handle more that that. Also, make sure you're not neglecting your carbs and fats, both are very important.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I agree with kerri...too much protein is WAYY hard on your kidneys. If it is a once and awhile thing, no biggie, but, like Kerri said, your body is not meant to handle excessive amounts. I also agree with maverickyanda, carbs are what fuels your body. If you are taking in more proteins, make sure at least that you are drinking PLENTY of liquids to help out your kidneys.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ask your doc.

If you're eating more protein than 30 per cent of your diet but are exercising more than the average person and you drink lots of water a day you may be just fine.

I mean, chicken and tuna isn't the same as steak and steak.
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    thanks for all the info. yeah i try to stay pretty balanced, but chicken breasts and tuna are available for every meal over here, so it's hard to stay under the alotted protein intake. before i joined this site and started keeping track i was all about some protien- breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks revolved around eggs, chicken, steak, tuna, lunchmeat, peaunut butter and beef jerky. i've slowed down a bit though. only 2 eggs for breakfast, only 2 chicken breasts at a time and i've gone down to only one protein filled snack a day instead of 3. i'm still over a little but i think i'm way less than i was before i started keeping track of it. again, thanks for all the imput.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Just read an article that says most people that are thin and manage to stay that way of course exercise but their diets contain a lot of protein, 26% of their daily calories to be exact.

Keep it lean, chicken, turkey, beans etc and stay in your caloric needs for the day and your body will do it's job expelling any nutrients it doesn't need. Besides, the most important thing is that you are focusing on being a healthier you!